History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Vicarage

A Grade II Listed Building in Beulah, Ceredigion

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.0635 / 52°3'48"N

Longitude: -4.5685 / 4°34'6"W

OS Eastings: 224025

OS Northings: 243685

OS Grid: SN240436

Mapcode National: GBR D3.D3H3

Mapcode Global: VH2MX.RDNG

Plus Code: 9C4Q3C7J+CH

Entry Name: The Old Vicarage

Listing Date: 15 March 1996

Last Amended: 15 March 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17958

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated some 250m W of church, on N side of village lane.

County: Ceredigion

Community: Beulah

Community: Beulah

Locality: Llandygwydd

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Tagged with: Clergy house

Find accommodation in
Pont Hirwaun


1846-7 vicarage by C.J. Davies of Cenarth, enlarged 1889 by Middleton, Prothero and Phillott of Cheltenham.


Coursed Cilgerran rubble stone with tooled Cilgerran dressings, slate eaves roofs and cut stone stacks, with chamfered bases, some shafts replaced in brick. Two storeys, asymmetrical Tudor Gothic front, originally of three bays, extended 1889 to right in matching style. Heavily carved bargeboards with pendant finials to gables. Margin-glazed sashes or casements in chamfered surrounds with single slab Cilgerran stone lintels and hoodmoulds. Chamfered plinth. Original part has slightly projected main gable to right, lower gable to left and centre gabled porch. Right stack with three stone shafts, on former end wall. Ground floor left and right windows are long arch-headed sashes with timber mullions, under deep hoodmoulds. First floor 2-light timber-mullion windows, left casements with hoodmould, centre casements without hood and right paired arch-headed sashes with hoodmould. Centre porch is gabled and bargeboarded with tall Tudor-arched chamfered doorway, Tudor-arched hoodmould and traceried fanlight. Door has Gothic panels. Single lights in side walls, with arched windows. W end gable has similar bargeboards, first floor casement pair with hoodmould and ground floor large square stone bay-window, with dripmould and parapet. Three-light window with similar long arch-headed sashes, no hoodmould. 1889 added section to front right has similar bargeboard, first floor 2-light with hood and ground floor long 2-light, with deep hood and arch-headed sashes E end gable has bargeboards, a chimney has been removed.
Rear has external chimney breast to right, whitewashed walls, centre small-paned casement-pair each floor with stone voussoirs, and NE rear wing with similar end stack. Small-paned casements. Small brick addition of 1879 in angle to rear wing.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as an unusually good example of a well-preserved early Victorian vicarage.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Coach-House and Stable to W of Llandygwydd Church
    Situated on S side of church approach, at entry to car park.
  • II Makeig memorial
    Situated in the grounds of St Tygwydd’s Church near former site of the old church (demolished in 1999), by path.
  • II Church Cottage
    Situated just N of Llandygwydd Church, on N side of road.
  • II Oakhill, Penylan
    Situated E of Penylan mansion, beyond coach-house, but approached by separate drive W of Llandygwydd Old Vicarage.
  • II Milestone on A484 SW of Llandygwydd
    Situated on N side of A484, some 200m SE of the turning to Llandygwydd, about 2km E of Llechryd. Leaning to right against stone wall at time of inspection (February 1995).
  • II Coach-House to E of Penylan
    Situated just E of mansion, overlooking farm yard to N and path from mansion to second coach-house (Oakhill) to S.
  • II* Penylan
    Situated down drive from formal entry some 400m NE of Llechryd Water Works, on E side of lane to Neuadd Cross from A 484.
  • II Gates and Railings to Penylan
    Situated on E side of lane from A 484 to Neuadd Cross, some 500m N of A 484.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.