History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.


A Grade II* Listed Building in Beulah, Ceredigion

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.0645 / 52°3'52"N

Longitude: -4.5751 / 4°34'30"W

OS Eastings: 223580

OS Northings: 243813

OS Grid: SN235438

Mapcode National: GBR D3.D1TQ

Mapcode Global: VH2MX.NC6P

Plus Code: 9C4Q3C7F+RX

Entry Name: Penylan

Listing Date: 21 September 1964

Last Amended: 15 March 1996

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 9884

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated down drive from formal entry some 400m NE of Llechryd Water Works, on E side of lane to Neuadd Cross from A 484.

County: Ceredigion

Community: Beulah

Community: Beulah

Locality: Llandygwydd

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in


1852-54 mansion by Edward Haycock of Shrewsbury. A mid C18 house of the Makeig family was on the site, owned from 1824-44 by Rev. John Jones, brother of Morgan Jones of Cilwendeg, Pembs. Morgan Jones of Penylan (1830-1905), son of Rev. John Jones, inherited 1844, and demolished old house 1852. The interiors were extensively redecorated c1900 by Morant & Co of London. Painting by A. Ludovici Jr of London. Sold 1905.


Painted stucco with hipped slate roofs, and corniced Cilgeran stone 3-shaft stacks (formerly with smaller triple shafts above). Large scale two storeys and three to rear. Square pl;an, two main fronts, six-window W entrance front, five-window S garden front. Rusticated angle quoins, Cilgeran stone plinth, first floor and eaves cornices, first floor with plain frieze, eaves cornice with big scrolled console brackets in frieze. Stucco window surrounds with bracketed sills.
Entrance front is of 2-2-2 bays with slight hipped centre projection and two ridge stacks. Big 6-pane windows in earned architraves to outer bays, centre has first floor quoins, and two arched windows with pilaster frames, moulded arches and keystones. Centre ground floor has big projecting 3-bay porch, with pilasters, entablature, and balustrade with panelled piers. Arched window each side of big arched doorway with double door and big fanlight. Moulded arches, console keystones, and side pilasters to all three openings. Slate stepsup.
S garden front is of 1-3-? bays, the centre three a hipped canted bay. Similar detail, upper outer windows in earned architraves, centre three arched, ground floor 3-6-3-pane tripartite sash each side with pilasters, cornice and centre pediment on consoles, windows of canted bay have corniced architraves, curved pediment to centre window. Two ridge stacks.
E side has similar two-window range to left, earned architraves, and three simpler bays to right, three-storey, under same roofline. Two ridge stacks. A small rear courtyard is enclosed by a three-sided two-storey rubble stone hipped service range with sashes in brick surrounds. Probably formerly stuccoed as W side has stucco architraves. Rear has off-centre gable.


Stone-paved entrance hall: bracket cornice, stencil decoration, elaborate doorways with scrolled pedimented frames, imitation marble skirting, stencilled Greek-key fretwork and sprays on arch jambs to stair-hall. Top lift stair-hall, stencilled lantern, cantilever stone stair with iron rails, ceiling cornice. Arched landing with marble balustrading. Drawing room with white marble or alabaster fireplace, tall overmantle mirror, gilded pelmets. Walls papered green with gold stars. Elaborate cornice, trompe-l'oeil strapwork ceiling border. Carved and painted baroque pediments to doors, stencilled architraves as in hall, painted neo-classical floral designs on panels. Music Room has fine plaster panelling with floral decoration to narrow panels, damask paper to main panels. Alabaster fireplace, stencilled doorcases. Ceiling with painted panel of cherubs, outer oval of dense floral decoration, plaster roses at ends, scrollwork and fruit in spandrels. Ballroom has painted decoration, 1864 date on doorcase, trompe l'oeil scrollwork, painted plaster vine-scroll. Ceiling panels outlined with stencil patterns. Stencil patterns to arch to inner bay, which has curved doors. Moulded ceiling rose, coloured cornice. In panels of first floor arcade are Italianate landscapes signed Miranda Mott 1958, alternated with C19 floral panels.

Reasons for Listing

An exceptional interior with fine mid c19 stair-hall and good decorations of c1900, of a type most unusual in S.W. Wales.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Coach-House to E of Penylan
    Situated just E of mansion, overlooking farm yard to N and path from mansion to second coach-house (Oakhill) to S.
  • II Oakhill, Penylan
    Situated E of Penylan mansion, beyond coach-house, but approached by separate drive W of Llandygwydd Old Vicarage.
  • II Gates and Railings to Penylan
    Situated on E side of lane from A 484 to Neuadd Cross, some 500m N of A 484.
  • II Manoreifed
    Situated about 1 km W of Llandygwydd, approached by drive opposite entrance to Llechryd Water Works
  • II The Old Vicarage
    Situated some 250m W of church, on N side of village lane.
  • II Milestone on A484 SW of Llandygwydd
    Situated on N side of A484, some 200m SE of the turning to Llandygwydd, about 2km E of Llechryd. Leaning to right against stone wall at time of inspection (February 1995).
  • II Coach-House and Stable to W of Llandygwydd Church
    Situated on S side of church approach, at entry to car park.
  • II Makeig memorial
    Situated in the grounds of St Tygwydd’s Church near former site of the old church (demolished in 1999), by path.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.