History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Oakhill, Penylan

A Grade II Listed Building in Beulah, Ceredigion

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0641 / 52°3'50"N

Longitude: -4.5741 / 4°34'26"W

OS Eastings: 223642

OS Northings: 243768

OS Grid: SN236437

Mapcode National: GBR D3.D22V

Mapcode Global: VH2MX.NCPZ

Plus Code: 9C4Q3C7G+M8

Entry Name: Oakhill, Penylan

Listing Date: 21 September 1964

Last Amended: 15 March 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 9886

Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence

Location: Situated E of Penylan mansion, beyond coach-house, but approached by separate drive W of Llandygwydd Old Vicarage.

County: Ceredigion

Community: Beulah

Community: Beulah

Locality: Llandygwydd

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Llechryd

History

Mid C19 former coach-house and stables of Penylan mansion, probably contemporary with house, 1852-4 by E. Haycock of Shrewsbury. Not marked on 1841 Tithe Map.

Exterior

Cut Cilgerran stone facade with slate deep-eaved roof, and paired brackets to eaves. Two-storey, three-window range, centre advanced and pedimented, with blank roundel. Three first floor 12-pane hornless sashes with cut stone voussoirs, raised band over three ground floor segmental-arched coach entries with raised imposts and keystones. Wings each side were lofted stables, originally roughcast with Cilgerran stone plinth two 12-pane sashes and Cilgerran stone band. Roughcast largely removed. Right stable is little altered, left has ground floor early C20 garage doors and two loft windows, sills breaking band. Left end gable has loft casement pair. Rear of main range has end wall outside stairs to former loft door and C20 rear windows. To rear of right wing is roofless c1920 barn addition.

Interior

C20 interiors, some fragments of 4-stall stables in wings.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a good late classical coach house and stable block, the exterior little altered in conversion. Group value with Coach House, Penylan.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Coach-House to E of Penylan
    Situated just E of mansion, overlooking farm yard to N and path from mansion to second coach-house (Oakhill) to S.
  • II* Penylan
    Situated down drive from formal entry some 400m NE of Llechryd Water Works, on E side of lane to Neuadd Cross from A 484.
  • II Gates and Railings to Penylan
    Situated on E side of lane from A 484 to Neuadd Cross, some 500m N of A 484.
  • II The Old Vicarage
    Situated some 250m W of church, on N side of village lane.
  • II Milestone on A484 SW of Llandygwydd
    Situated on N side of A484, some 200m SE of the turning to Llandygwydd, about 2km E of Llechryd. Leaning to right against stone wall at time of inspection (February 1995).
  • II Manoreifed
    Situated about 1 km W of Llandygwydd, approached by drive opposite entrance to Llechryd Water Works
  • II Coach-House and Stable to W of Llandygwydd Church
    Situated on S side of church approach, at entry to car park.
  • II Makeig memorial
    Situated in the grounds of St Tygwydd’s Church near former site of the old church (demolished in 1999), by path.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.