History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tramway Incline Structure above Kilgetty Ironworks Furnace bank

A Grade II Listed Building in Stepaside, Pembrokeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7333 / 51°43'59"N

Longitude: -4.6943 / 4°41'39"W

OS Eastings: 214045

OS Northings: 207278

OS Grid: SN140072

Mapcode National: GBR GF.3ZQW

Mapcode Global: VH2PD.LP5M

Entry Name: Tramway Incline Structure above Kilgetty Ironworks Furnace bank

Listing Date: 18 March 1997

Last Amended: 18 March 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 18282

Building Class: Industrial

Location: On high ground, to the rear of Kilgetty Ironworks and its limekilns, on the W side of Pleasant Valley.

County: Pembrokeshire

Community: Kilgetty/Begelly (Cilgeti/Begeli)

Community: Kilgetty/Begelly

Locality: Kilgetty Ironworks

Built-Up Area: Stepaside

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
Stepaside

History

In 1845, in anticipation of establishing iron furnaces at Kilgetty, the Pembrokeshire Iron and Coal Company started to consider sinking a new pit at Grove. The decision was taken in 1852 and the new pit opened in 1856. By this time the Ironworks was in production. It had three tramways, as shown on the 1888 map; two of them were probably for tipping but the one of which this structure formed the lower terminal was for delivering coal directly to the Ironworks. The Colliery was also connected to the Saundersfoot Railway.

Regular exploitation of the Colliery ceased in 1884. The ironworks had closed in 1877. By 1900 it was proposed to remove all machinery from Grove to Kilgetty Colliery, which was presumably done.

Exterior

A sandstone retaining wall with a diagonal aperture, which was the structure at the foot of the northernmost of the self-acting inclines bringing coal down from Grove Colliery to the Ironworks.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for group value with the other structures of the top level of Kilgetty Ironworks.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Walls and Kilns above Furnace Bank
    On high ground to the rear of Kilgetty Ironworks, on the W side of Pleasant Valley.
  • II Furnace Bank Revetment Wall
    Kilgetty Ironworks is at the W side of Pleasant Valley. The furnace bank is a high retaining structure about 20 m W of the Ironworks casting shed.
  • II Casting House
    In Kilgetty Ironworks, on the W side of Pleasant Valley. The casting shed is the most prominent surviving building in the group.
  • II Double Engine House
    In Kilgetty Ironworks, on the W side of Pleasant Valley. The Engine House stands a short distance to the N of the Casting Shed.
  • II Workshops
    Part of Kilgetty Ironworks on the W side of Pleasant Valley. The workshops are at the N of the site, beside the footpath to Stepaside.
  • II Grove Colliery Cornish Beam Engine House
    100 m SW of Kilgetty Ironworks, on the W side of Pleasant Valley. The engine house is at the centre of a group of ruined colliery buildings, close to a quarry face at its rear.
  • II Saundersfoot Railway Bridge
    Located on Ford Lake, which is now the Community boundary. The bridge is partly in the Community of Saundersfoot and partly in the Community of Amroth.
  • II Tramway Bridge
    Over Ford's Lake in the village of Stepside, to the SE of Brook Cottages. Ford's Lake is the Community boundary between Amroth and Kilgetty/Begelly.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.