History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Saundersfoot Railway Tunnel (North )

A Grade II Listed Building in Saundersfoot, Pembrokeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7172 / 51°43'1"N

Longitude: -4.6904 / 4°41'25"W

OS Eastings: 214248

OS Northings: 205479

OS Grid: SN142054

Mapcode National: GBR GF.MSY7

Mapcode Global: VH2PL.N37F

Entry Name: Saundersfoot Railway Tunnel (North )

Listing Date: 7 May 1997

Last Amended: 7 May 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 18441

Building Class: Transport

Location: On the coastal pedestrian route between Saundersfoot and Wiseman's Bridge, known now as the Miners' Walk. It is one of a group of three tunnels on the Countryside Commission's Pembrokeshire Coast Path

County: Pembrokeshire

Community: Saundersfoot

Community: Saundersfoot

Locality: Coppet Hall

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
Saundersfoot

History

These tunnels are part of the Saundersfoot Railway, which was authorised under an Act of 31 June 1829, promoted by Sir Richard Philipps and others. The planned branch to Wiseman's Bridge was estimated to cost £2131. It was not immediately built, but the S tunnel was in use by 1832 and the others by 1834. The railway was laid to the gauge of 4 ft (1.2 m), and the tunnels were built to a width and height of 2.4 m. They served the important traffic between Saundersfoot and Stepaside, which was especially important as the iron industry there developed. The railway was never used officially for public transport. In 1874 a locomotive was introduced on this line for the first time, specially constructed for the limited dimensions of the tunnels. The track was re-laid to carry it. The locomotive was a saddle-tank design by Manning Wardle. The railway remained in use until 1939 when the rails were scrapped. The route is now a public walk.

Exterior

Tunnel N portal and partial lining in local Carboniferous sandstone. In places where firmer strata were encountered the native rock was left unlined. The lining is generally 0.3 m in thickness. The width is 2.4 m and the walls 1.2 m high vertically with a semicircular vault. The tunnel is about 100 m in length, mostly lined. The tunnel includes a large stone embankment at the point where it emerges at the N. (Most of the remainder of the route to Wiseman's bridge is on an artificial embankment, but almost entirely reconstructed in concrete.)

Reasons for Listing

Listed as an important relic of an exceptionally early railway and for group value with the other listed relics of the railway.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Saundersfoot Railway Tunnel (Middle )
    On the coastal pedestrian route between Saundersfoot and Wiseman's Bridge, known now as the Miners' Walk. It is one of a group of three tunnels on the Countryside Commission's Pembrokeshire Coast Path
  • II The Cottage
    At E side of the road passing through Coppet Hall, ½ km N of Saundersfoot village. There is a low wall with slate coping and iron railings at the front and an iron gate between stone piers.
  • II Saundersfoot Railway Tunnel (South)
    On the coastal pedestrian route between Saundersfoot and Wiseman's Bridge, known now as the Miners' Walk. It is one of a group of three tunnels on the Countryside Commission's Pembrokeshire Coast Path
  • II Hean Castle
    On high ground 1 Km N of Saundersfoot village, in a fine setting in extensive private landscape gardens. The main front overlooks a terrace with a low parapet wall. Gardens to the E.
  • II Monument at Hean Castle
    Located to the SW of Hean Castle, on the right hand side of the main approach from the W gate. The column stands in front of a little gazebo set into an earth mound.
  • II Gate Lodge
    The N entrance gate lodge to Hean Castle, 1 km N of Saundersfoot.
  • II The Cottage
    At S side of Frances Lane, about 100 m E of the County Primary School.
  • II The Hean Inn
    In the High Street of Saundersfoot village, at the corner of Wogan Terrace, in a very prominent position overlooking Cambrian Terrace. At the E is an adjacent low block in the same ownership.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.