This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2362 / 53°14'10"N
Longitude: -4.1643 / 4°9'51"W
OS Eastings: 255652
OS Northings: 373208
OS Grid: SH556732
Mapcode National: GBR 5N.02X2
Mapcode Global: WH541.0X9D
Entry Name: Plas Cadnant domestic service outbuilding and wall
Listing Date: 18 July 1997
Last Amended: 18 July 1997
Source ID: 18550
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Behind Plas Cadnant house, forming one side of an enclosed service yard together with a high wall one side, with a lean-to range attached, and tall iron gates. The other side of the yard is defined by
County: Isle of Anglesey
Town: Menai Bridge
Community: Menai Bridge (Porthaethwy)
Community: Menai Bridge
Locality: Cwm Cadnant
Built-Up Area: Menai Bridge
Traditional County: Anglesey
Plas Cadnant is dated 1803, and this building is probably contemporary; built to provide domestic services, including servant's accommodation, storage, dairying and salting, baking, boiling and clothes washing. Alterations to some windows late C19 or early C20, and interior partly re-arranged.
An asymmetrical 2 storey range built parallel to the house across a yard. Random rubble walls and slate lintels, under a hipped roof of large slates laid to diminishing courses. Two rectangular brick chimneys, arranged centrally. Offset to left is a covered passage with heavy stone lintels, leading to a larger yard with coach-house. Windows are 12 pane and 16 pane fixed lights, with large openings flanking passage, that to the left having a ventilated opening. Abutting left end is a roofless building with massive stone lintel over door to front, cambered brick lintel to rear, window to end wall. At right angles to the main range is a 3 unit lean-to, presently roofless, built against the high stone wall forming the yard boundary on the SW side. Between the lean-to and the house are tall iron gates, leading off the track past the house. The yard is bounded to the NE by a lower stone wall.
To left of passage is a washhouse or bakehouse, unlofted with a storage area over the passage-way, and brick oven or boiler base. King-post roof truss. To right of passage is an unlofted room with no external access, reached from store/bakehouse, with servant's quarters over. This has a small fireplace on the ground floor with brick oven or boiler base in corner. Small brick fireplace on first floor servant's quarters, reached by separate door and internal wood staircase. Main transverse beam re-set at diagonal to accommodate enlarged window to rear. Iron bacon hooks on beam. Room to extreme right is dairy and salting room, with slate slab floor, limewashed walls, slate bench round all sides, with slate trough for bacon salting or skimming milk. Lean-to range against high wall to left has tiled and brick floors.
Listed notwithstanding condition, as a virtually intact domestic service building, forming an important part of the estate group, centred on the Georgian country house of Plas Cadnant.
Other nearby listed buildings