A Grade II Listed Building in Abersychan, Torfaen
Latitude: 51.7239 / 51°43'25"N
Longitude: -3.0876 / 3°5'15"W
OS Eastings: 324974
OS Northings: 203354
OS Grid: SO249033
Mapcode National: GBR J2.2L28
Mapcode Global: VH79K.FXLV
Plus Code: 9C3RPWF6+GX
Entry Name: Chimney
Listing Date: 28 July 1997
Last Amended: 28 July 1997
Source ID: 18591
Building Class: Industrial
Location: About 500m to the west of The British on the south side of the mountain road to Abertillery.
Locality: The British
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Probably dating from 1870-1879 and built as a ventilation shaft for the adjacent Cwm-Byrgwm colliery. The Ordnance Survey map of 1879 shows it in position. Mining began here before 1820.
Tall square section chimney over a ventilation shaft. It is built of yellow, possibly Ebbw Vale or Blaendare bricks. Plain tapering shaft except for slightly larger section cap and coping.
Reasons for Listing
Included as a rare surviving colliery ventilation shaft in an area of deep mining, relics of which have now almost disappeared.
Other nearby listed buildings
Former colliery engine house at ETM Steel Fabrication
On the south-east side of the Varteg to Llanhilleth mountain road at The British. The engine house backs onto the road and faces the yard behind.
Former British Ironworks office and foundry quadrangle
The most prominent building in the area of the former British Ironworks, about 1000m south west of St Thomas's Church, Talywain.
British Colliery Pumping Engine House
On the site of the British Ironworks about 100m north east of the former British Ironworks office and foundry quadrangle.
The Big Arch
Located next to the B4246 and carries a disused railway embankment across a disused railway line now a track. The arch forms the visual and actual gateway to the former British Ironworks area.
Former Goods Shed of Abersychan and Talywain Station
To the west of Talywain village, high on the embankment above The British and about 300m north of the Big Arch.
Church of St Thomas
In the centre of Talywain standing in an extensive rectangular rubble walled churchyard.
High Street Baptist Church
Built backing into the hillside on a high platform with stone retaining wall and iron railings on a site overlooking Cwmsychan.
In the Talywain area of Abersychan, Waterloo Cottage is at the southern end of Fairfield (off Waterloo Road), where the road becomes a footpath.