History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Newborough Arms

A Grade II Listed Building in Bontnewydd, Gwynedd

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1146 / 53°6'52"N

Longitude: -4.2677 / 4°16'3"W

OS Eastings: 248318

OS Northings: 359892

OS Grid: SH483598

Mapcode National: GBR 5J.7V1F

Mapcode Global: WH43F.DZZ5

Entry Name: Newborough Arms

Listing Date: 29 July 1997

Last Amended: 29 July 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 18614

Building Class: Commercial

Location: Situated on the E side of the A487 in Bontnewydd, just N of the bridge over the Afon Gwyrfai.

County: Gwynedd

Town: Caernarfon

Community: Bontnewydd

Community: Bontnewydd

Built-Up Area: Bontnewydd

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Dinas

History

Early C19 coaching inn on main Caernarfon road, extended to right in C20. Marked as Newborough Arms on 1842 Llanbeblig Tithe Map of 1842 when it was a holding of some 11 acres (4.5ha), occupied by John Roberts and owned by Lord Newborough. Lord Newborough owned 284 (115ha) acres in the parish at this time.

Exterior

Whitewashed roughcast with slate roof and red terracotta ridge. Rebuilt end stacks, rendered and whitewashed, the original S end stack now on ridge as building has been extended to S. Two-storey, three-window original range, one-window range added to right. Broad centre gable to original part, and small shallow gable to added section, carved scalloped eaves throughout. Windows are all flat-headed long triple casements, the lights small-paned with Gothic Y-tracery heads, slate sills. Centre half-glazed door in timber gabled shallow porch with cambered head. C20 small outbuilding with similar 3-light window added to left end wall. Large C20 rear extensions all with matching windows.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a prominent early C19 coaching-inn on main turnpike road, still retaining distinctive gothic detailing.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Ty Capel Siloam
    Situated on the E side of the A487 in Bontnewydd, just to the S of Capel Siloam and some 55m N of the bridge over the Afon Gwyrfai.
  • II Capel Siloam
    Situated on the E side of the A487 in Bontnewydd, some 70m N of the bridge over the Afon Gwyrfai.
  • II Arosfa
    Situated on the E side of the A487 in Bontnewydd, some 30m S of the bridge over the Afon Gwyrfai.
  • II Craigafon
    Situated on the E side of the A487 in Bontnewydd, some 140m S of the bridge over the Afon Gwyrfai.
  • II Pentre Uchaf
    Situated on the E side of the A487 in Bontnewydd, some 170m S of the bridge over the Afon Gwyrfai.
  • II Plas-y-bont
    Situated on the W side of the A487 in Bontnewydd, some 170m down a track S of the bridge over the Afon Gwyrfai.
  • II Nantlle Tramway River Bridge
    The Bridge spans Afon Gwyrfai on the west side of Bontnewydd.
  • II Bridge at Plas-y-bryn
    The bridge carries the road to Plas-y-Bryn over the Afon Gwyrfai some 400m E of the A487, SE of the centre of Bontnewydd.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.