History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Teresa of Lisieux

A Grade II Listed Building in Abergele, Conwy

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2875 / 53°17'15"N

Longitude: -3.5823 / 3°34'56"W

OS Eastings: 294615

OS Northings: 377896

OS Grid: SH946778

Mapcode National: GBR 3ZFF.77

Mapcode Global: WH657.YM9K

Entry Name: Church of St Teresa of Lisieux

Listing Date: 5 August 1997

Last Amended: 5 August 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 18664

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Located N of the town centre, on the corner of Clwyd Avenue.

County: Conwy

Town: Abergele

Community: Abergele

Community: Abergele

Built-Up Area: Abergele

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Abergele

History

Built in 1934 to the design of G Rinvolucri, an Italian immigrant architect living in Conwy, who later built a church in similar style in Ludlow. Altered in 1971 by Bowen, Dann, Davies, when the tabernacle and font by Victor Neep were installed.

Exterior

Built of limestone, with copper sheet roof cladding. Cruciform plan, all arms terminating in semi-circular apses. The entrance arm is extended, and has a triple semi-circular arched arcade on a raised podium with marble columns and Byzantine style capitals. Apses and the entrance arm have triplets of round-headed small windows set high in the walls, and above, the parapet is outset on a corbel table. Central dome with apex cross, and barrel vaults to the arms, semi-domes over the apses.

Interior

The interior is simple; plastered walls and high unmoulded arched openings to the wings, and smaller arches to the apses. The splays of the main piers supporting the dome have simple niches. The eastern apse is raised, with a priest's door to the left, and marble pavings. The baptistery in the E apse has radially set grey slate pavings and a boldly designed font of 1971 by Victor Neep. The Chapel of St Teresa in the W apse has an octagonal slate floor. The entrance arm is ceiled, above which is the choir gallery.

Reasons for Listing

Included for its special interest as a prominently sited and distinctively Byzantine style inter-war church.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Eglwys Crist Addoldy'r Annibynnwyr
    The chapel is set on the corner of Dundonald Avenue and Pleasant Place, on the N side of the town centre.
  • II The Castle, Y Castell
    Wrapped around the corner between Dundonald Avenue and Pleasant Place, N of the centre of Abergele.
  • II Monument to the great rail disaster of 1868 in the Churchyard of Church of St Michael
    The monument is set against the eastern churchyard wall, on the N side of the Church of St Michael.
  • II* Church of St Michael
    Located in a rectangular churchyard in the angle between Water Street and Market Street, at the centre of the town, and accessed by the short Church Street off Market Street
  • II Ty-mawr Terrace
    Small N facing terrace leading W off the junction with Market Place, close to the Parish Church.
  • II Ty-mawr Terrace
    Small N facing terrace leading W off the junction with Market Place, close to the Parish Church.
  • II Lych Gate to Church of St Michael
    Church Street leads off Market Street at the centre of the town. The lychgate is at the entrance to the churchyard at the end of the road.
  • II Pentre-mawr
    Located towards the N end of Dundonald Avenue, overlooking the former grounds, now the town park.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.