History in Structure

Shah Jalal Islamic Cultural Centre (Formerly Methodist Chapel) including forecourt wall and gates

A Grade II Listed Building in Plasnewydd, Cardiff

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.4932 / 51°29'35"N

Longitude: -3.1736 / 3°10'24"W

OS Eastings: 318621

OS Northings: 177787

OS Grid: ST186777

Mapcode National: GBR KKG.CP

Mapcode Global: VH6F6.YQ3Q

Plus Code: 9C3RFRVG+7H

Entry Name: Shah Jalal Islamic Cultural Centre (Formerly Methodist Chapel) including forecourt wall and gates

Listing Date: 21 August 1997

Last Amended: 24 May 2002

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 18808

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Also known as: Shah Jalal Mosque, Cardiff
Shah Jalal Islamic Cultural Centre (formerly Methodist Chapel)
Shah Jalal Mosque

ID on this website: 300018808

Location: About 150 m from junction with Albany Road, backing onto railway line.

County: Cardiff

Town: Cardiff

Community: Plasnewydd

Community: Roath

Locality: Cathays

Built-Up Area: Cardiff

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Tagged with: Mosque Chapel

Find accommodation in


Built as a Calvinistic Methodist Chapel in 1899, by J.H. Phillips, architect. After closure, the chapel became an Islamic Cultural Centre in 1985.


Former Chapel in an eclectic Art-Nouveau style; on basement hall (ground falls steeply behind entrance). Of Pennant stone with Bath stone and yellow brick dressings, and slate roof. An elaborate shaped gable has ball-finials and oculus near the apex. A large arched window has shaped radial keystones. On each side of the front is a D-plan stair turret with a concave pavilion roof and iron ball finial, the upper level faced in Bath stone with 7 round-headed windows, and 3 stepped windows below. Between the turrets the slate roof sweeps down over the porch with very broad 3-centred arch. The camber-headed entrance doorway is flanked by small windows. To each side, at right angles, are doorways to the stair turrets. Stub walls to the porch carry iron railings.

In front of the chapel, attached by low walls is a forecourt wall in Pennant stone and Bath stone, iron railings and gates. The chapel is reached via a stone bridge over the basement area. The 5-bay side elevations have shallow brick buttresses, round-arched windows to the upper level, and camber-headed headed windows to the ground floor. The basement is brick with camber-headed windows.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for architectural interest as striking and original chapel design retaining considerable historic character.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.