History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

School Lodge

A Grade II Listed Building in Newcastle Higher (Y Castellnewydd), Bridgend

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5244 / 51°31'27"N

Longitude: -3.597 / 3°35'49"W

OS Eastings: 289304

OS Northings: 181819

OS Grid: SS893818

Mapcode National: GBR HC.H3YL

Mapcode Global: VH5HB.LYS8

Entry Name: School Lodge

Listing Date: 13 November 1997

Last Amended: 13 November 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19055

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Located SW of Pen-y-Fai church on S side of a driveway to Court Colman and with iron gates attached.

County: Bridgend

Community: Newcastle Higher (Y Castellnewydd)

Community: Newcastle Higher

Locality: Pen-y-Fai

Built-Up Area: Bridgend

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Bridgend

History

Built 1898-1899 by R.W. Llewellyn of Court Colman for school master of adjacent school. The lodge, one of a pair with Church Lodge and with gates between, stands at the former main entrance to Court Colman.

Exterior

Tudor-Gothic style, single-storey lodge, consisting of a main range with gable facing the road, and with a wing at right angles set back to L. Of coursed, rock-faced Pennant sandstone with ashlar dressings and banding in Ham stone. Asbestos-slate roof with stone stack to wing; the main elevations have cusped barge boards with billets. The main range has, to front, a 3-light mullioned and transomed bay window, above which is the Llewellyn coat of arms in relief in a recessed Ham stone panel with ogee head. In the R side wall is a timber-framed porch on a dwarf wall, and incorporating an oak bench inside it. The doorway has a chamfered surround; the door is boarded and has fake strap hinges. (C20 range behind the porch.) The wing has a 2-light mullioned window in its gable end. A single-storey projection to L of and behind wing has details similar to the main house.

Interior

Not inspected.

Reasons for Listing

A small lodge of distinctive character and detail, and an integral component of a fine group of buildings at the former entrance to Court Colman.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Gateway at former entrance to Court Colman.
    Located immediately SW of Pen-y-Fai church across the former entrance drive to Court Colman, attached to Church Lodge on N side and School Lodge on S side.
  • II Church Lodge
    Located immediately SW of Pen-y-Fai church on N side of the former entrance to Court Colman and with iron gateway attached.
  • II Church of All Saints, Pen-y-Fai
    Located on the S side of Pen-y-Fai village on W side of Heol Eglwys.
  • II The Pheasant
    Located on E side of Heol Eglwys, NE of church, and facing playground to S.
  • II Court Colman
    Approximately 1km W of Pen-y-Fai church, reached by private drive S of minor road between Pen-y-Fai and Llangewydd Court. Faces S with forecourt and extensive lawn in front.
  • II Tynygarn Mile marker
    Located on W side of A4063 (Bridgend Road) opposite a junction with a minor road to Glan Rhyd Bridge.
  • II Tondu Road Underbridge
    On a minor to the east of the A4063 Tondu Road, close to the River Ogmore.
  • II* Glan Rhyd Railway Viaduct
    Spanning River Ogmore on a minor road E of A4063 and almost directly beneath viaduct of M4.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.