History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gateway at former entrance to Court Colman.

A Grade II Listed Building in Newcastle Higher (Y Castellnewydd), Bridgend

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5245 / 51°31'28"N

Longitude: -3.597 / 3°35'49"W

OS Eastings: 289303

OS Northings: 181828

OS Grid: SS893818

Mapcode National: GBR HC.H3YK

Mapcode Global: VH5HB.LYR6

Entry Name: Gateway at former entrance to Court Colman.

Listing Date: 13 November 1997

Last Amended: 13 November 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19056

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Located immediately SW of Pen-y-Fai church across the former entrance drive to Court Colman, attached to Church Lodge on N side and School Lodge on S side.

County: Bridgend

Community: Newcastle Higher (Y Castellnewydd)

Community: Newcastle Higher

Locality: Pen-y-Fai

Built-Up Area: Bridgend

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Tondu

History

Built 1900-3 by R.W. Llewellyn and framing the entrance to Court Colman. Contemporary with the gates is the parish church and Church Lodge. The school and School Lodge on S side were built 1898-9.

Exterior

Cast iron gateway flanked by dwarf walls with railings. The main gateway is flanked by tall openwork piers with scrollwork, which are surmounted by gas lamps. The railings have spike finials with simple scrolls and are swept up to centre. An elaborate lock rail has a frieze of scrolls, with a frieze of scrolls incorporating fleur-de-lys finials above and below it. The dog rail has a similar motif. To R and L are similar railings swept up to the gate piers and on dwarf walls of coursed, rock-faced sandstone with Ham stone banding and coping, which are swept up to the attached lodges. The wall to R is broken by a wrought iron gate with details similar to the main gates.

Reasons for Listing

A fine example of decorative cast iron and an integral component of the fine group of buildings at the former entrance to Court Colman.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II School Lodge
    Located SW of Pen-y-Fai church on S side of a driveway to Court Colman and with iron gates attached.
  • II Church Lodge
    Located immediately SW of Pen-y-Fai church on N side of the former entrance to Court Colman and with iron gateway attached.
  • II Church of All Saints, Pen-y-Fai
    Located on the S side of Pen-y-Fai village on W side of Heol Eglwys.
  • II The Pheasant
    Located on E side of Heol Eglwys, NE of church, and facing playground to S.
  • II Court Colman
    Approximately 1km W of Pen-y-Fai church, reached by private drive S of minor road between Pen-y-Fai and Llangewydd Court. Faces S with forecourt and extensive lawn in front.
  • II Tynygarn Mile marker
    Located on W side of A4063 (Bridgend Road) opposite a junction with a minor road to Glan Rhyd Bridge.
  • II Tondu Road Underbridge
    On a minor to the east of the A4063 Tondu Road, close to the River Ogmore.
  • II* Glan Rhyd Railway Viaduct
    Spanning River Ogmore on a minor road E of A4063 and almost directly beneath viaduct of M4.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.