This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8983 / 51°53'53"N
Longitude: -3.0419 / 3°2'30"W
OS Eastings: 328404
OS Northings: 222706
OS Grid: SO284227
Mapcode National: GBR F4.QQ26
Mapcode Global: VH78T.7K64
Entry Name: Tabernacle Baptist Chapel
Listing Date: 29 January 1998
Last Amended: 29 January 1998
Source ID: 19257
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: About 2.5km north of Forest Coal Pit, and just within the western boundary of the Community. On the east side of the river, reached by a lane from the minor road to Grwyne Fawr reservoir.
Community: Crucorney (Crucornau Fawr)
Locality: Grwyne Fawr
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
A small Baptist chapel erected in 1837.
Roughly squared red sandstone rubble with a Welsh slate roof and tiled ridge. Small single cell chapel with windows only in the gable walls. The entrance gable has a C20 gabled slated porch over the original plank double doors. This is flanked by 8 over 16 sash windows with horns in elliptical heads. Two nicely engraved but rather damaged grave slabs are fixed to the wall to the left of the door. The rear gable also has these windows. Both gables have shaped bargeboards with pendants. The entrance gable carries an inscribed plaque 'TABERNACLE Baptist Chapel ST. JT. Builders. 1837'
The interior retains a strong original character although there have been some changes. Pine dado panelling and vertical panelling to the fronts of the galleries which run on three sides, supported on slim iron columns. The 'set fawr' has a panelled front with cupboard for the Host and twin staircases. All this appears of 1837 as do some of the fixed benches in the galleries. The pews are later. Queen post roof trusses. A charming and very unaltered interior for the period.
Highly graded as an little altered example of a Baptist Chapel of 1837 and for having group value with the attached manse.
Other nearby listed buildings