This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8466 / 51°50'47"N
Longitude: -2.9554 / 2°57'19"W
OS Eastings: 334285
OS Northings: 216875
OS Grid: SO342168
Mapcode National: GBR F8.TTSY
Mapcode Global: VH791.QVH8
Entry Name: Parish Hall at Llanddewi-Skirrid
Listing Date: 5 February 1998
Last Amended: 5 February 1998
Source ID: 19319
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: About 5km north east of Abergavenny at the junction of the Skenfrith road with the lane leading up to the Church of St David.
Community: Llantilio Pertholey (Llandeilo Bertholau)
Community: Llantilio Pertholey
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
It is said that Crawshay Bailey junior (died 1887) gave this Assembly Room to the parish. If so it must date from 1880-1887. Its appearance would suggest a c1885 date. It is a standard prefabricated church design with nave and transepts, but is here used as a hall with the east end and transepts as separate rooms.
Crawshay Bailey II was the only son of Crawshay Bailey I, the leading ironmaster, pioneer of the coal industry and promoter of the railways. The Crawshay Baileys were one of the most powerful South Wales families of their time.
Corrugated iron sheeting on a timber frame, the roof has been replaced, but the walls are probably original. Nave, transepts, south porch, Gothic style. The entrance elevation has the steeply gabled porch to the left with scalloped bargeboards and a double plank door in a pointed arch. Three 2-light windows with narrow mullions and transom and Gothic heads. A larger 3-light one with two mullions in the transept gable with smaller single light one above. Bargeboards with spike finials. Similar 3-light window and gable in gable end of nave. The opposite gable has a small fleche shaped window in the gable apex. Rear elevation similar to the front.
Four bay hall with principal rafter roof with the principals coming down to moulded bracket stops. Plain boarded dado.
Included as scarce example of a well designed and unaltered late C19 pre- fabricated iron church hall.
Other nearby listed buildings