This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8551 / 52°51'18"N
Longitude: -4.5459 / 4°32'45"W
OS Eastings: 228677
OS Northings: 331656
OS Grid: SH286316
Mapcode National: GBR 55.S06H
Mapcode Global: WH44N.4HJL
Entry Name: Capel Nant
Listing Date: 1 April 1998
Last Amended: 1 April 1998
Source ID: 19626
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated set back in lawned garden on N side of road from Nanhoron to Rhydyclafdy, 100m NE of junction with B4413.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Calvinistic Methodist chapel of 1877. A chapel is marked on the 1839 Tithe Map, on Nanhoron estate land.
Chapel, rubble stone with slate eaves roof on brackets, with thin bargeboards. Roof ridge has metal ventilator. Gable front in grey rubble with roughly squared dressings in the same stone. Composition is of a single large arch with squared quoins and voussoirs, and projecting keystone, enclosing three long arched openings and a centre keyed roundel with slate plaque 'Nant 1877'. The arched openings are two windows flanking a broader and slightly taller centre opening with a 2-light window immediately over double doors. Outer windows have 21-pane glazing, centre is divided into two arched-lights with roundel over by thin timber mullions, the two lights 15-pane. The doors are 6-panel. Raised plinth.
Side walls have no brackets to eaves, 4-window range of long arched windows. Rear has two long arched windows without keystones, brackets to eaves.
Plaster ceiling with ornate centre rose and moulded cornice. Timber end gallery panelled in long horizontal panels and dentil cornices. Plaster arch behind pulpit.
Included as a good example of later C19 chapel design with a strong gable front composition.
Other nearby listed buildings