This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8556 / 52°51'20"N
Longitude: -4.5471 / 4°32'49"W
OS Eastings: 228602
OS Northings: 331719
OS Grid: SH286317
Mapcode National: GBR 54.S5X7
Mapcode Global: WH44N.3HZ5
Entry Name: Siop-y-Nant
Listing Date: 1 April 1998
Last Amended: 1 April 1998
Source ID: 19627
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated in small valley reached by drive running N off road just W of Capel Nant.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Late C18 or early C19 house, possibly originally a farmhouse, then part of Nanhoron estate and latterly a shop. Large service wing seems to have had an estate function being larger than the house it serves. Marked on 1839 Tithe Map as Nant House, owned by the Nanhoron estate, occupied by Margaret Williams. There is another range marked on the map at right angles to left. In the roof an 1889 date was found under plaster. Little altered from 1910 photograph.
House and larger service range to right, whitewashed rubble stone with close-eaved roofs of graded slates. Two stone stacks, at left end of each range. Service range roof is slightly taller. One and a half storeys throughout, house is double fronted with 4-pane horned sashes, the upper two breaking eaves under stone dormer gables, the lower two larger and both set slightly to left of windows above. Centre ledged door with glass panel. Rear added outshut. Service range to right has one-window range to left of door and 2-window range to right. 3 eaves-breaking catslide dormers with sash windows. Ground floor 3 sash windows and ledged door centre left. Dormers have horned 12-pane sash left, 6-pane over 2-pane sash centre-right and smaller C20 top-hung window right. Ground floor has horned 12-pane sash left and centre right and small 6-pane casement right. E end has outside steps to former loft door now window, door to ground floor left of steps. Rear right one-window range with catslide dormer, rear left added wing with end stack.
A late C18 or early C19 vernacular house with large service wing in keeping.
Other nearby listed buildings