This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.202 / 53°12'7"N
Longitude: -4.2292 / 4°13'45"W
OS Eastings: 251200
OS Northings: 369530
OS Grid: SH512695
Mapcode National: GBR 5K.2C4W
Mapcode Global: WH546.0SC5
Entry Name: Plas Llwynonn including coach house and service range to rear.
Listing Date: 23 April 1998
Last Amended: 23 April 1998
Source ID: 19746
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Set within grounds NW of the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road, c1km W of Plas Newydd.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Community: Llanddaniel Fab
Community: Llanddaniel Fab
Locality: Plas Llwynonn
Traditional County: Anglesey
Probably built mid to late C19, designed by W E Jones, architect of Llanfairpwll. Formerly known as Plas Mona, the present house is on the site of an earlier house, Plas Gwyn; owned by Reverend Henry Rowlands until his death in 1842 when it was inherited by the Evans family of Henblas, Llangristiolus. Sold in 1857 to Lady Willoughby de Broke, wife of the 16th Baron and daughter of Sir John Williams of Bodelwyddan, and for whom the house was probably re-built.
Large Neo-Tudor style gentry house of 2-storeys with attic. Built of granite rubble with limestone dressings; roof covering of ornamental 'fishscale' slates with sawtooth ridge tiles, stone copings, kneelers and finials; rectangular stone stacks. To rear is single storey wing with attic, continued as lofted coach house and tackroom. Stables and gate lodge built parallel to house across yard; with stone archway and wall completing yard. Single storey wings to rear of house now form entrances to individual dwellings within main block, linked by lean-to extensions.
Main L-plan block of two storeys with attics, with entrance elevation in right (east) gable return; advanced gabled bay of 2-storeys with attic to left of centre, containing entrance porch with pointed chamfered arch. First floor with 4-light chamfered mullioned window, attic floor with lancet. Left of the porch is the projecting offset chimney breast serving the gable stack above. Right of the porch is a ground floor cross window and 1st floor 2-light mullioned window; to right end is 2-storey bay window with 4-light chamfered transomed and mullioned windows, above which is a raking dormer window of 3-lights. Central stone stack.
Principal elevation, facing S, of 3 gables; paired gables to left slightly advanced, each with 2-storey bay windows, with 3-light chamfered transomed and mullioned windows, with hood bands and sill strings, surmounted by parapets with ball finials. Between the twin gables, ground floor 3-light transomed and mullioned window with hood mould; 2-light window to 1st floor; attic storey has 3-light mullioned windows with hood moulds. Similar fenestration to recessed right-hand gable. Three rectangular stacks, 1 to each end and 1 to right of advanced bays.
To left of main block is a 2-storey L-plan range, formerly servant's quarters, of similar materials, including 2-storey with attic gabled bay to left. 3-light chamfered mullioned window to ground and first floors, that to ground floor with continuous hood string; attic floor with blind slit window. Two-window range linking main block to right has 2-light chamfered mullioned windows, door to right. Lofted domestic range and coach house to rear with 3 brick cambered arches to right, with slate-roofed verandah supported on tapering columns; tackroom to right end; single storey with embattled parapet, through passage with pointed arched openings and single 16-pane sash to right. Set at right angles to rear of main house, and to domestic wing, are 5 single storey wings with a mixture of pointed and elliptical arches to doorheads, with plain hoodmoulds.
Listed as a coherently detailed mid-late C19 Neo-Tudor house retaining its original character externally.
Other nearby listed buildings