History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Emral Hall Lodge

A Grade II Listed Building in Willington Worthenbury, Wrexham

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9941 / 52°59'38"N

Longitude: -2.8757 / 2°52'32"W

OS Eastings: 341321

OS Northings: 344441

OS Grid: SJ413444

Mapcode National: GBR 7B.HHYQ

Mapcode Global: WH89D.S0TH

Plus Code: 9C4VX4VF+JP

Entry Name: Emral Hall Lodge

Listing Date: 7 May 1998

Last Amended: 7 May 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19771

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Located approximately 1 km north-east of Holly Bush Corner (A 525), to the east side of, and set back from, the lane.

County: Wrexham

Town: Wrexham

Community: Willington Worthenbury

Community: Willington Worthenbury

Locality: Emral

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Bangor-is-y-coed

History

One of three Lodges to Emral Hall (demolished 1936); one of the other lodges has been demolished and the third altered. Possible C18 origins but the dominant character is C19. Said to have initially been re-modelled at the time of Richard Puleston's ascendancy to the Baronetcy in 1813. Sold as one of twenty-eight lots of the former Emral Hall estate of Crawshaw Wellington Puleston to Mr J Broad in 1916. Extension dated 1991.

Exterior

Two storey red brick with stone dressings under slate roof. L-plan. Building constructed in three phases, original phase of C18 is square two-storey lodge with heavy stone quoins on stone base, with open porch to south elevation with heavy stone quoins and four-centred arched opening to C19 nailed door. Distinctive Flemish gables with stone copings. Rectangular stone mullioned windows under stone drip-moulds to first floor. Two-light square-paned leaded window to south and east, three-light square-paned leaded window to the west, the central light of which is stepped-up. Stone mullioned and transomed splayed bay window beneath. East window to ground floor is two-light with mullion and transom. At corners of C18 lodge heavy stone finials and pendentives with foliage carving to pendentive. Early/mid C19 extension to north with two-light square-paned leaded stone mullioned window to ground floor, fronted with pointed Flemish gable containing three-light stone mullioned window. Carved decorative stone enrichment added C19 ie stone finials to top of gables, semi-circular pediment to bay window, and porch. The parapet to the porch retains the Puleston coat-of-arms. To the east a two-storey extension of 1991 with date stone inscribed "EPB 1991" set in Flemish-style gable with stone finial under yellow brick coping.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a good example of a Jacobethan style estate lodge, for historic association with Emral Hall and group value with other listed items at Emral Hall.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Hollybush Farmhouse
    Hollybush farm is situated some 0.3 km south-west of Hollybush Corner along Hollybush Lane which is the junction of the lane with the A 525 Whitchurch Road.
  • II Bridge to West of stable courtyard at Emral Hall
    Crosses Emral Brook on the approach to the stable courtyard at the former Emral Hall. Site now accessed from Emral Hall Lodge.
  • II South Stable Block at Emral Hall
    One of the two former stable blocks to Emral Hall which now form part of the Emral Stud and are reached by a private drive from Emral Hall Lodge. It is sited between the bridge over Emral Brook and t
  • II North Stable Block at Emral Hall
    One of two former stable blocks to Emral Hall which now form part of Emral Stud and are reached by a private drive from Emral Hall Lodge. It is sited opposite the South Stable block between the bridg
  • II Ice House to rear of North Stable Block at Emral Hall
    Located to the rear of the north stable block of Emral Hall and partly submerged in the ground. The stable block is reached by a private drive from Emral Hall Lodge.
  • II Halghton Forge
    Set back from the road just SE of Halghton Mill and bridge, approximately 3.5km SE of Bangor-is-y-coed.
  • II Halghton Lodge Farmhouse
    On the E side of a minor road S of the A525, approximately 3.5km SE of Bangor-is-y-coed.
  • II Multi-purpose farm building at Halghton Lodge
    On the SW side of the farmhouse.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.