History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Factory/Y Ffatri

A Grade II Listed Building in Buan, Gwynedd

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.864 / 52°51'50"N

Longitude: -4.5448 / 4°32'41"W

OS Eastings: 228791

OS Northings: 332651

OS Grid: SH287326

Mapcode National: GBR 55.RLGG

Mapcode Global: WH44N.583P

Entry Name: The Factory/Y Ffatri

Listing Date: 15 July 1998

Last Amended: 15 July 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 20132

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated on the W side of the B4415 road in Nanhoron valley, some 150m S of Pont Llidiard-y-dwr (Inkerman Bridge).

County: Gwynedd

Town: Pwllheli

Community: Buan

Community: Buan

Locality: Nanhoron

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Llanengan

History

Mid to later C19 house and former woollen mill, part of the Nanhoron estate. There is said to have been a corn mill on the site prior to the construction of Felin Newydd (dated 1822, rebuilt later C19), some 700m down stream. Date of 1864 on first-floor roof timbers and 1870 on wheel. Tithe returns for Llanfihangel Bachellaeth in 1841 refer to a house and factory owned by Richard Lloyd Edwards Esq, and occupied by Margaret Hughes. Mill produced wool goods such as flannel blankets. House is said to have contained a shop and knitting work-shop. Mill ceased working in the 1930s.

Exterior

Two-storey L-plan range of buildings with house facing S, and rear E wing parallel to road, the former mill. Uncoursed rock-faced squared granite stone to house, rougher masonry to mill which is built against the bank on the E side. Stone lintels throughout. Slate roofs, gabled to W end of house, with smaller slates to mill and hipped at SE angle. House has overhanging eaves to W gable, and 2 stone end-wall chimneys. The house is double-fronted to S with boarded door central between 16-pane hornless sash windows on each floor. Single window range beyond the right-hand stack (but apparently part of the original build) has outshut to ground floor with slate roof and boarded W door. Four-pane sash window over. Rear N wall has 3 x 16-pane sashes at first floor and one each side of centre below.

Mill range faces E with ground floor stabling, 4 single doors, one each end, 2 left of centre and broad double boarded doors right of centre. Single doors have boarded overlights. First floor has 3 x 2-light casements. S end, to right of house, has disused large water-wheel, 4.6m diameter, with iron rim and wooden spokes, the rim marked 'Durie and Davis, Aberystwith 1870'. Wheel is over-shot, with head-stocks and 22.86cm cast-iron water pipe from under road. N end wall has large factory type upper window of 2 x 24-pane lights. Small shuttered window under. E rear wall has corrugated-iron roof to added infill.

Interior

Mill roof has seven collar-trusses of sawn pine to first floor. Presently in domestic use.

Reasons for Listing

Included as an exceptionally complete surviving example of a small water-powered woollen factory.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Direction Sign at Inkerman Bridge
    Situated on the S bridge parapet of Pont Llidiard-y-dwr (Inkerman Bridge), on B4415 at junction with lane to Llaniestyn.
  • II Milestone
    Situated on the W side of the B4415 road 100m N of Pont Llidiard-y-dwr (Inkerman Bridge).
  • II Milestone
    Situated on E side of B4415 some 850m N of junction with B4413 at Rhydgaled and some 600m S of Inkerman Bridge.
  • II Barn and Stable Range W of Saethon
    Situated some 150m W of Saethon.
  • II* Saethon Old Farmhouse
    Situated some 600m down drive running NW from point some 1.4km NE of Capel Nant on road to Rhydyclafdy.
  • II Outbuilding to E of Saethon
    Situated immediately in front of E front of Saethon Old Farmhouse.
  • II Outbuilding to N of Saethon
    Situated facing S over track immediately opposite Saethon Old Farmhouse and the outbuilding to E.
  • II Mill at Felin Newydd
    Situated E of mill-house by Afon Horon, just W of B4415, some 100m N of junction with B4413.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.