This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9499 / 52°56'59"N
Longitude: -3.0341 / 3°2'2"W
OS Eastings: 330614
OS Northings: 339673
OS Grid: SJ306396
Mapcode National: GBR 74.L1HB
Mapcode Global: WH89J.C3DV
Plus Code: 9C4RWXX8+X8
Entry Name: Two adjoining Ranges of Farm Buildings, with a Horse Gin at Halton Farm
Listing Date: 29 July 1998
Last Amended: 29 July 1998
Source ID: 20234
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: The farm buildings lie between the farmhouse and the lane from the hamlet of Halton to Pont-y-Blew.
Community: Chirk (Y Waun)
Traditional County: Denbighshire
The farm buildings were built in 1823 as multi-purpose barns and cow-houses for the newly built Halton Farm. They are now largely cowhouses with feed storage on the upper floors, and a milking parlour.
The two ranges are set out in a right angle, the N limb lying parallel to the road, the other extending S towards the house. Built of good quality stone rubble with quoins and ashlar dressings, and now with corrugated sheet roofing probably replacing slate. The northern E-W arm has a tall cartway facing the yard with a segmental stone arch, the keystone dated 1823. It is now blocked. Two high-level pitching doors, and a central dovecote, and a door at the E end. The roadside elevation and gable end has three tiers of regularly placed slit ventilators. At the E end, an octagonal horse gin house, with stone walls and large regular ventilation openings in the enclosing walling, all now blocked and replaced by a wide axial opening for farm machinery. The N-S range is similar, with stable doors and part-glazed vented windows on the ground floor and pitching doors above, and a similar blocked cart opening to the yard. Coped gable ends with kneelers.
Incuded as a fine group of farm buildings, typical of agricultural improvements taking place in the early C19, and part of a substantial farmstead group at Halton Farm.
Other nearby listed buildings