History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Neuadd

A Grade II Listed Building in Llangors, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9423 / 51°56'32"N

Longitude: -3.2611 / 3°15'39"W

OS Eastings: 313411

OS Northings: 227845

OS Grid: SO134278

Mapcode National: GBR YV.MXBH

Mapcode Global: VH6C1.FFCV

Entry Name: Neuadd

Listing Date: 21 August 1998

Last Amended: 21 August 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 20309

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Within Llangors village, a little N of the centre, on the W side of the main thoroughfare.

County: Powys

Community: Llangors (Llan-gors)

Community: Llangors

Built-Up Area: Llangors

Traditional County: Brecknockshire

Find accommodation in
Llangorse

History

Until 1840s this was a village farmhouse but was bought by London barrister Abraham Kirkman, described on his monument in Llangors church as 'a profound antiquary', who rebuilt it in Gothic Revival style, very likely in connection with the nearby development of Treberfydd under Robert Raikes with J L Pearson as architect, also with the redevelopment of Goodrich under Lord Merrick with whom Kirkman had connections. The Kirkman family were harpsichord makers of Franco-German origin; Abraham Kirkman died in 1870 and is buried in the family vault in London. The former external fireplace wall and stone steps beside survive from the old building and Kirkman built a separate unit for the housekeeper adjacent, connected at ground floor level but with first floor doorway made probably c 1880 through the thick wall when the house was converted to a single dwelling. Sale details of 1888 refer to extensive panelling, stained glass and fireplaces of which only remnants survive. End chapel/library wing formerly had elaborate roof trusses incorporating trefoils. Some of the windows appear to be re-used medieval features collected by Kirkman.

Exterior

In Gothic Revival style. Of sandstone rubble and ashlar with Welsh slate roof with main centre ridge stack. Three unit plan: the main house in the centre, the former housekeeper's house to left with separate lower roof visible, and a very narrow chapel or library wing end right with steep separate gabled roof. Main frontage is dominated by three asymmetrical steep gables in centre each with a window at first floor level, the centre a cross window with deep moulded frame and hoodmould above, to left a shouldered lancet with a narrow sash, to right an ecclesiastical style 2 light window with geometric tracery and raised voussoired surround. The left gable is corbelled at first floor level, an offset string course continues at this level; in the centre gable it is stepped over the front doorway which is pointed arched and chamfered with a recessed vertically panelled studded door; it continues across the right gable bisected by a stepped buttress with stone tiled offsets, with cross frame windows on each side. Window glazing is still partly of diamond quarries; the sash in the right gable slides sideways into the wall; one other first floor sash slides upwards into the wall. To right the single storey chapel or library wing which breaks forward has a trefoil headed lancet to the corbelled upper part. To left are the two bays of the housekeeper's wing with no front windows at first floor level, 2 cross windows to the ground floor with a continuous hoodmould joining the corbelling of the centre left gable. Main entrance is now to side, former housekeeper's entrance, the door vertically panelled and with decorative hinges; pointed chamfered arched sash lancet above; rear windows of this unit altered but retain stone hoods. Main central unit again is asymmetrical with tall wide central gable with unequal verges, trefoil headed landing light, cross framed ground floor window with flanking buttress with offsets; the roof extends forward at a different pitch over staircase with sash lancet in return. End gable left to former chapel/library wing.

Interior

Interior retains mid C19 plan incorporating elements of C17 plan: ground floor single room depths; first floor has narrow rear landing to main house. Former separate staircase to housekeeper's wing rose from kitchen, which retains flag floor. Door surrounds are late Regency in style. Ceiling in main living room is deeply coffered. Shutters are of fine quality with raised panels. Curved stone staircase to first floor.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as an interesting example of mid C19 Antiquarian Gothic Revival domestic architecture, almost certainly linked with similar developments at nearby Treberfydd.
Group value with the barn and wall.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.