This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5745 / 51°34'28"N
Longitude: -3.222 / 3°13'19"W
OS Eastings: 315410
OS Northings: 186891
OS Grid: ST154868
Mapcode National: GBR HW.D27T
Mapcode Global: VH6DT.3PHB
Entry Name: Memorial to David Williams
Listing Date: 18 February 1999
Last Amended: 18 February 1999
Source ID: 21377
Building Class: Commemorative
Location: In the park overlooking the lake immediately S of Caerphilly Castle.
Community: Caerphilly (Caerffili)
Locality: Caerphilly Centre
Built-Up Area: Caerphilly
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Erected 1911 as the result of fund-raising activity by a Memorial Committee, chaired by Lord Tredegar. Memorial dedicated to David Williams (1738 - 1816), writer, philosopher and politician who was born at Waen waelod, Watford. He was a pupil at Cwm of the Rev. David Williams (1709-84), who had begun the chapel at Watford. He entered the ministry, but only for a short time, before moving to London where he engaged himself in teaching and writing. In all, he wrote 26 books on a range of subjects including religion, liturgical reform, history and education. His writing attracted the attention of Benjamin Franklyn and they set up a religious group. His 'Liturgy on the Universal Principles of Religion and Morality' in 1776 received acclaim throughout Europe, and this was followed by a book in defence of the freedom of American colonists. He was invited to be a French citizen and to draw up details of a French constitution. In 1790 he established the Royal Literary Fund to support impoverished authors. He lived at the fund's headquarters in Soho where he died, and is buried at St Anne's, Soho. The memorial was erected nearly a century after his death by his admirers, who regarded him as one of the foremost Welshmen of his age and generation.
Obelisk of pale grey marble with pyramidal top. On a square base, the top edge of which has ogee moulding and a small pediment in the centre of each side. The memorial inscription to David Williams is on the S face of the base. Fixed to the obelisk above is a cast bust of David Williams, of bronze, or bronze-plated. The base is on a 5-tier sandstone platform.
Located within a small enclosure of iron railings. There are 2 panels per side, the handrails swept up to the piers and with circular motifs.
Listed for its historic interest as a memorial to a man regarded as one of the foremost Welshmen of his generation.
Other nearby listed buildings