This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8584 / 52°51'30"N
Longitude: -4.4944 / 4°29'39"W
OS Eastings: 232157
OS Northings: 331907
OS Grid: SH321319
Mapcode National: GBR 57.RSTM
Mapcode Global: WH44N.XFZ0
Entry Name: Schoolroom and Tan Capel
Listing Date: 8 March 1999
Last Amended: 8 March 1999
Source ID: 21435
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: The two conjoined buildings form the NW side of the forecourt to Capel Peniel, on the road running NW towards Aberdaron.
Built-Up Area: Llanbedrog
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Capel Peniel was built in 1866, and the school and master's house are probably contemporary with it.
The schoolroom with the master's house, Tan Capel, attached at its lower end are built of local rubble with a continuous slate roof and eaves. The schoolroom is single storey, with a boarded door and overlight at the lower end, and three 12-pane horned sash windows. Slate sills. Gable brick stack. At the upper end, a wall containing a wide arch connects the schoolroom with the chapel house, the arch leading to a service yard. Tan Capel, now 2 cottages, is attached to the N gable end and is part of the same build. No 1 has C19 plate glass sash windows and a modern door; No 2 has a modern panelled hardwood door and its original 4-pane sash windows. At the centre, above the doors, a large recessed panel with the inscription TAN CAPEL M C 1888. Gable end stack.
Included as small range of mid C19 buildings of local vernacular character; historically linked with Capel Peniel and, together with the chapel, forecourt walls and railings, all forming a focal point in the quasi-urban development of upper Llanbedrog.
Other nearby listed buildings