This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6601 / 51°39'36"N
Longitude: -3.164 / 3°9'50"W
OS Eastings: 319580
OS Northings: 196344
OS Grid: ST195963
Mapcode National: GBR HY.6QTG
Mapcode Global: VH6DG.3JNQ
Entry Name: Former Hall's tramroad and railway tunnel W portal
Listing Date: 17 March 1999
Last Amended: 17 March 1999
Source ID: 21503
Building Class: Transport
Location: Reached from a path from a small Caerbryn estate development N of High Sreet at Pentwyn-mawr.
Community: Newbridge (Trecelyn)
Built-Up Area: Pontllan-fraith
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Sir Benjamin Hall, the industrialist (1802 - 1867), built a tramroad in 1814 to transport coal from collieries in the Sirhowy Valley to the tramroad and canal system of the Ebbw Valley leading S to Newport. It linked the Western Valley Tramroad with Manmoel in the Sirhowy Valley and thus was one of the few early cross-country E/W lines. Benjamin Hall was the son-in-law of Richard Crawshay of Cyfarthfa Ironworks who bought the Abercarn Estate for him on his marriage. His son, also Benjamin Hall, became the First Commissioner of Estates to Queen Victoria and gave his name to Big Ben; he became Lord LLanover following his marriage to Lady Llanover. The tramroad, known as Hall's Road and appearing thus on Tithe Map of 1846, was laid with edge rails to standard gauge by 1860. It crossed the GWR Aberdare Extension of 1857 at Pennar junction adjacent to this portal; the lane to N of the cutting leading to the E portal is also called Hall's Road and a group of nearby early-mid C19 cottages now altered is named Tunnel Row. This portal probably dates from the mid-C19 upgrading whereas the bridge to NW listed in Penmaen Community appears to date from the original construction of 1814.
Tunnel portal, the wall of snecked rockfaced stone with flat stone coping and the entrance a round arch with 3 courses of red and blue brick headers, tooled arises to the jambs.
Listed as an intact disused tunnel portal for its important historical connection with the early tramroad built by Sir Benjamin Hall; group value with the E portal.
Other nearby listed buildings