This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1268 / 53°7'36"N
Longitude: -4.1526 / 4°9'9"W
OS Eastings: 256062
OS Northings: 361016
OS Grid: SH560610
Mapcode National: GBR 5N.75Q2
Mapcode Global: WH54M.5NTR
Entry Name: Tan-Hafotty
Listing Date: 28 May 1999
Last Amended: 28 May 1999
Source ID: 21844
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located in a remote position at the end of a track running off Ffordd Clegir to the north-west of the former Glyn-rhonwy Slate Quarry.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Early C19 smallholder's/slate quarry worker's cottage with the original attached cowhouse later converted to domestic use and replaced by a new cowhouse, also attached to the cottage. The smallholding, which is shown on the 1839 Tithe map, is likely to have been sustained by the dual agricultural and industrial economy. Abandoned and in poor condition at time of Survey.
Single-storey cottage and attached cowhouse. Original house-part to right with original cowhouse to left later converted to domestic use and replaced by new cowhouse attached to left gable end. Limewashed rubblestone; graded slate roof to original structure, Victorian slate roof to later cowhouse. Original house part has 4-paned sashes with slate cills to left and right of slightly off-set boarded door; integral end stack to right and ridge stack to left at junction with original cowhouse, both with slate drips. Original cowhouse has boarded door to left with boarded-up window to its right; boarded doors to front of later cowhouse.
Single large room to right of ridge stack has exposed A-frame truss and large open fireplace with timber lintel to end stack; smaller room to left has chimney breast projecting into room. Slate and quarry tile floors.
Listed, notwithstanding its poor condition, as a characteristic example of an early C19 smallholding, exhibiting the distinctive long rectangular plan-form of cottage and attached outbuildings typical of the local vernacular tradition; its comparatively large size suggests that farming was at least as important to its occupants as work in the nearby slate quarry.
Other nearby listed buildings