This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1339 / 53°8'2"N
Longitude: -3.3324 / 3°19'56"W
OS Eastings: 310957
OS Northings: 360466
OS Grid: SJ109604
Mapcode National: GBR 6R.6F12
Mapcode Global: WH778.SHBB
Entry Name: Rhewl Chapel and Manse
Listing Date: 18 August 1999
Last Amended: 18 August 1999
Source ID: 22164
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Located in the centre of the village in a narrow lane 50m E of the school; set back behind low rubble forecourt walls and with a cemetary to the side and rear.
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Welsh Methodist chapel built in 1844, with school-room and minister's house incorporated; altered and extended 1926. Emrys ap Iwan (1848-1906), famous Methodist minister and bard was the minister here until his death.
Chapel and manse group of limestone rubble construction with slate roofs. The chapel has a limestone ashlar facade with roughcast sides and rear, and has a pyramidal roof with iron weathervane. Symmetrical facade with plain parapet and projecting stringcourse below. Four tall round-arched windows with early C20 2-light leaded glazing and similar glazing to the segmental heads; projecting keystones and sills. The 2 central windows are closer together than the outer ones; between these is an inset dedication stone. Projecting in front of the chapel at the centre is a C20 three-bay porch addition, the central, entrance bay advanced; flat roof with simple parapet section to centre with the painted inscription: '1844 Rhewl 1926.' Recessed entrance with 10-panel double doors and plain-glazed, round-arched windows flanking and to the returns. Widely-canted rear with hipped roof. Three-light wooden mullioned window to the centre with decorative leading, and flanking cross-windows with 10-pane lower and 6-pane upper sections.
Adjoining the chapel to the L is the 2-storey manse, which is roughcast with a hipped roof. Blocked entrance to the L with modern windows to the R on both floors. Entrance to the L return and further modern windows. Adjoining this to the rear is an L-shaped, 2-storey contemporary school-room block. This has a first-floor entrance with modern door to the front, accessed via a straight external stair; ground-floor entrance to the R. Plain sashes and modern windows to the side and rear, the latter with a narrow lean-to to its gable end.
The interior was not inspected at the time of survey.
Listed for its special interest as a good mid C19 village chapel and manse group, associated with the renowned preacher and poet Emrys ap Iwan.
Other nearby listed buildings