History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.


A Grade II Listed Building in Clynnog, Gwynedd

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.0452 / 53°2'42"N

Longitude: -4.3262 / 4°19'34"W

OS Eastings: 244153

OS Northings: 352303

OS Grid: SH441523

Mapcode National: GBR 5F.D5KG

Mapcode Global: WH43S.JQ3B

Entry Name: Pont-y-cim

Listing Date: 15 September 1999

Last Amended: 15 September 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 22357

Building Class: Transport

Location: The bridge is c800m from the main A499 at the hamlet of Pontllyfni, and carries a minor road over the Afon Llyfni (Llyfnwy).

County: Gwynedd

Town: Caernarfon

Community: Clynnog

Community: Clynnog

Locality: Pontllyfni

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in


The bridge was built in 1612 at the expense of Catherine Buckley at the cost of £20, in memory, it is said, of her fiance who was drowned crossing the river here. It was in need of repair, as presented to the quarter sessions in 1750, and was widened by 75 cm on the upstream side later, the widening seriously damaged by a flood in 1935 after which it was reduced to its original width.


Built of local stone rubble,the bridge consists of a single arch spanning 6.6m rising 2.3m above the water, formed with well-shaped voussoirs set back under a regulating course, and a low flush parapet coped with unshaped stones on end, rising in straight sections to an off-centre peak. The carriageway is 2.1m across, plus parapets of 40cm width. At the S end, on the downstream side, a badly lettered stone panel records the inscription CATRING BWKLE HA / TH GIVE 20 POVNDS / TO MACK THIS BRIDGE / 1612. At the N end, the causeway approach has 2 small square flood culverts.

Reasons for Listing

Included as an early and precisely dated single span country bridge.

Scheduled Ancient Monument: CN053

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Brynaerau uchaf
    The farm lies SE of the hamlet of Pontllyfni, on a minor road leading to the SW.
  • II Bryngwdion
    Located in pasture fields at the end of a farm track running off the east side of the minor road, which turns off the A 499 towards Pont-y-cim; the farmhouse sits to the west of its farmyard.
  • II Pigsties at Bryngwdion
    Located immediately to the west of the farmhouse at Bryngwdion.
  • II Barn and stables at Bryngwdion
    Located on the south side of the farmyard at Bryngwdion.
  • II Cowhouse at Bryngwdion
    Located on the east side of the farmyard at Bryngwdion.
  • II Lleuar-fawr
    The farm is approximately 1.5km due W of Llanllyfni, off the minor road to Clynnog-fawr, and is approached by a long farm track. The site overlooks the valley of the Afon Llyfni.
  • II Eithinog-uchaf
    Situated in lowland pasture fields at the end of a farm track off the south-west side of Ffordd Clynnog (Clynnog Road).
  • II Tai-hirion, with rear farm range
    The farm is located below the road from Clynnog to Llanllyfni, just W of the junction with a lane running SE to Bwlch-y-derwin.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.