This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.845 / 52°50'42"N
Longitude: -3.1756 / 3°10'32"W
OS Eastings: 320918
OS Northings: 328151
OS Grid: SJ209281
Mapcode National: GBR 6Y.SWML
Mapcode Global: WH78Q.6R29
Entry Name: The Malt House, including nos 1 and 2 Malthouse Cottages
Listing Date: 15 October 1999
Last Amended: 25 September 2003
Source ID: 22499
Building Class: Domestic
Location: In the centre of the village, opposite St Silin's Church and the Wynnstay Inn.
Locality: Llansilin village
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Built after 1792. A construction joint indicates that the front block of the maltings predates the two cottages, the front of which bears the date 1822.
The rear maltings and kiln block are later additions of mid C19.
Maltings with two attached cottages to the right. Local stone, limewashed, slate roofs, rectangular stone chimney. Front of maltings has, to left, stone steps up to first floor loading door (hoist pole above), small square window to left and two to right. Two similar windows to right on ground floor. Two windows set at eaves. All these windows slatted.
To right of maltings are two former cottages in same range but separated by a straight joint in the masonry. These have camber-headed casement window at first and second floor levels; part glazed door; casement window at eaves; large small-pane window to ground floor; boarded door with casement window above.
The maltings are L-plan; rear angle between front block and crosswing has smaller drying block (in poor condition at time of inspection in 1999). Gable end of cross wing has three storeys with camber-headed windows with brick voussoirs. Rear of cottages modernised.
Maltings have wooden floors some on beams, some on poles; rear crosswing has heavy wooden beams; king post roofs. Rear drying block has roof in poor condition, floors removed, and ruins of kiln.
Of industrial interest as early C19 maltings on an important site in the centre of the village.
Other nearby listed buildings