This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3558 / 52°21'20"N
Longitude: -4.0224 / 4°1'20"W
OS Eastings: 262363
OS Northings: 275008
OS Grid: SN623750
Mapcode National: GBR 8V.SN8C
Mapcode Global: VH4FS.71CV
Entry Name: Capel Carmel
Listing Date: 29 September 2000
Last Amended: 27 October 2003
Source ID: 24016
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated just S of the village centre on the W side of the A485.
Built-Up Area: Llanilar
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Calvinistic Methodist chapel of 1879, replacing one of 1797, altered 1824. The architect was Richard Owens of Liverpool, and the cost £950.
Chapel, snecked squared rock-faced Llanddewi Brefi rubble stone with slate roof and fretted bargeboards. Two-storey plain gable front with stone voussoirs to all openings, arched to first floor, cambered headed below. Tooled stone quoins and surrounds to windows and door. Gable plaque 'Methodistiaid Calfinaidd'. Three large arched first floor windows, the centre one flanked by two narrow and lower side lights. Three plaques below 'Adeiladwyd 1879/ Carmel/ Erected 1879'. Ground floor has sash windows and centre double 3-panel painted grained doors with plate-glass overlight. Four broad slate and rubble stone steps up. All windows have marginal glazing bars, painted slate sills and small flush keystones. Side walls are 2-storey and basement, 4-window, rougher rubble stone to right, roughcast to left. Twelve-pane sash windows, taller and with slightly cambered heads to gallery, flat-headed to ground floor and basement, the latter windows short 9-pane. Door to right of right side wall. Chapel house to rear right, rendered 2-storey, 2 C20 plastic windows above, door below.
Three-sided gallery with canted ends, panelled in long horizontal panels with square panels between. Bracket cornice beneath over 8 iron columns with double neck-rings and leaf capitals. Pitch-pine panelled pews in 3 blocks. Big 3-sided set fawr with entries each side and reading desk in centre. Turned balusters over panelling to 3 sides and heavy turned newels with ball finials. Centre reading desk with pierced fretwork decoration to front panel, pilasters and console brackets to bookrest. Platform has similar balusters and newels to side steps, and ornate front in contrasted wood colours, the pulpit stepped forward from panelled side pieces. Heavy and deep cornice below. Pulpit has 2 panels with shaped heads and pierced fretwork decoration, framed by big ornate console brackets to top cornice and book rest. Sides have 2 horizontal panels facing front and 2 similar to sides. Seat back is panelled in 6 vertical panels, set against plaster arch with moulded head, keystone and corbels. Gallery pews have panelled backs and are steeply raked at the rear. Small organ in slightly Gothic case at rear of gallery. Plaster cornice, ceiling with diagonal ribs to centre roundel around ornate floral and acanthus rose. Vestry under chapel with 8 iron columns.
Included for its architectural interest as a village chapel of unusual scale with fine interior carpentry.
Other nearby listed buildings