This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9551 / 51°57'18"N
Longitude: -3.5061 / 3°30'21"W
OS Eastings: 296599
OS Northings: 229582
OS Grid: SN965295
Mapcode National: GBR YJ.LWHG
Mapcode Global: VH5FG.54T2
Entry Name: Church of St David
Listing Date: 15 December 2000
Last Amended: 27 May 2005
Source ID: 24461
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: On S side of road through village, in churchyard with views over River Usk, towards the Brecon Beacons.
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Anglican parish church, probably C14-C15, extensively rebuilt in 1861 by C. E. Buckeridge of Oxford for the Rev. Gilbert Harries of Llandefaelog Fach, who had opposed the planned demolition of the derelict medieval church. Described in 1855 by Sir S. Glynne as whitewashed, in poor repair, with some trefoiled windows. The roof is said to have been raised in 1885, and slates replaced stone tiles.
The Early Christian pillar stone in the church is probably evidence of a church on or near this site from a very early period. The stone was found during restoration in 1861 used as a jamb-stone in one of the windows.
Church, brown rubble stone with slate roof. Long undivided nave and chancel, N porch, small bellcote, rebuilt in C20. Broad C19 wooden gabled porch with bargeboards, and pointed cusped entry between square panels, pierced with cinquefoil roundels each side of entry, and three with quatrefoils to each side. Pointed C19 chamfered stone N doorway to church, with C19 door. C19 windows are plain cusped lancets. To left, a C19 2-light, and then a C19 single-light and, to left again, a grey stone trefoil-headed medieval single window, much restored. Three-light pointed C19 E window with hoodmould and purple stone voussoirs. E wall stonework looks all C19. Plaques on E wall including those to Thomas Williams of Cwmcamlais Fawr, died 1807, by T. Williams; John Williams died 1794; Margaret Williams of Cwmcamlais Fawr died 1816 and Alice Walters died 1817. On S side, from right, a 2-light medieval window with pointed cusped lights, much restored, a blocked late medieval or C16 doorway, with stopped chamfers to jambs, and rounded head, a straight joint to nave, a 3-light C19 window, the design based on the next window, a flat-headed window of three cusped arched lights (possibly C16). C19 W window of 2 lights with cinquefoil roundel in head, and hoodmould under stone voussoirs.
Plastered walls, collared scissor-rafter roof to a seven-sided profile. Segmental headed window reveals.
Corner fireplace in vestry SW corner. one step to chancel, one step to sanctuary with altar rails. Tiled sanctuary, one step to altar. S chancel window sill is dropped as seat.
Fittings: Circular medieval font chamfered below to round shaft, medieval, retooled. W end pine vestry screen pierced with arched cusped openings, similar on half-glazed door. Pitch pine pews with cusped heads to end panels. Pine stalls with open front kneeler, and reading desk with pierced front. Pulpit on ashlar chamfered base, three-sided timber top with pointed blind tracery. Simple wood rails with four uprights and arched braces.
Important Early Christian incised stone to left of door. Tall narrow stone with Ogham incisions 'Cunacennaviilvveto' and in Latin letters 'Cunocennifilivs Cunogeni hic iacit' with added incised Latin cross with circled head.
Memorials: Plaque to Walters family, 1887, by Morris & Mainwaring of Swansea.
Included for its special interest as a church of medieval origins, containing an important early inscribed stone.
Other nearby listed buildings