History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Llawrybettws Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Llandderfel, Gwynedd

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9713 / 52°58'16"N

Longitude: -3.4552 / 3°27'18"W

OS Eastings: 302371

OS Northings: 342535

OS Grid: SJ023425

Mapcode National: GBR 6L.JTD1

Mapcode Global: WH66V.WLT0

Plus Code: 9C4RXGCV+GW

Entry Name: Llawrybettws Chapel

Listing Date: 31 January 2001

Last Amended: 31 January 2001

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 24585

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Set back slightly on the corner of the lane behind a partly-railed forecourt with curved rubble revettment walls following the road to the L and R.

County: Gwynedd

Community: Llandderfel

Community: Llandderfel

Locality: Glan-yr-Afon

Traditional County: Merionethshire

Find accommodation in
Cynwyd

History

Chapel founded in 1803 and rebuilt in 1835 and 1865, the last date corresponding to the present structure.

Exterior

Rectangular chapel with contemporary schoolroom at right-angles to the L, forming an overall L-plan. Entrance facade and R return are of red brick construction (Flemish Bond) with sandstone ashlar dressings and slate roofs. The inner (schoolroom-facing) side of the chapel, and both sides of the schoolroom are rendered and lined-out. The chapel has a well-composed symmetrical facade with expressed quoins and projecting verges with simple decorative bargeboards; surmounting wooden pendant finial. Round-arched outer entrances with 4-panel moulded double doors and segmental fanlights. Paired arched windows to the centre with 20-pane horned sashes plus fans; projecting stone sills. Above these is a centrally-placed foundation plaque giving the dates 1803, 1835 and 1865; this with voussoirs and quoins of yellow stock brick.

The R (NE) side of the chapel has three 12-pane sash windows with flat, dressed stone lintels and projecting sills; decorative patterning in purple headers to the lower half of the wall. The rear gable end has plain bargeboards and a slated boilerhouse lean-to. The (rendered) L wall (SW) has two horned 12-pane sashes. That to the L is partly obscured by modern plastic roof sheeting which covers a wooden porch extrusion in the angle with the schoolroom; this with boarded door. The schoolroom section has a squat brick end chimney to the L and a 12-pane sash with obscured glass to the L of the entrance; two further 12-pane sashes to the rear. The L gable has corrugated iron cladding and plain bargeboards.

Interior

Plain ceiling in 3 compartments; vertically-boarded dado, with similarly-boarded wind porches. The original fixed pine box pews are arranged as a double central block and single outer sections with aisles between. Square enclosure with plain, vertically-boarded lower, and square-panelled upper section, the latter with blind ocular decoration; simple moulded rail and turned finials to corner posts.

Panelled Set Fawr with blind quatrefoil upper and cusped lower panels; moulded rail. Classical arch in moulded plasterwork to the rear of the Set Fawr, with recessed, panelled pilasters and projecting key; simple ribbed panels within. Part-glazed entrance to schoolroom with multi-pane glazed screen above; 12- and 4-pane sections.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its special interest as a simple mid-Victorian chapel and schoolroom retaining good original external character and simple original interior detail.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Old Board School at Llawrybettws
    In the centre of the small village group, on the E side of the lane.
  • II Church of Saint James the Great
    On the SE side of the A494 on the east side of Glan-yr-afon; set within its own walled churchyard.
  • II Barn at Ty Mawr
    Built alongside the road at Ty Mawr, which is on the A494 between Druid and Four Crosses.
  • II Ty Mawr
    On the SE side of the A494, between Druid and Four Crosses.
  • II Cymro Gate
    Located at the north-eastern boundary of the community and prominently-sited on the roadside.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.