This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3358 / 53°20'8"N
Longitude: -4.5502 / 4°33'0"W
OS Eastings: 230295
OS Northings: 385127
OS Grid: SH302851
Mapcode National: GBR HM4W.GGW
Mapcode Global: WH42B.2FJ2
Entry Name: Uwch y don
Listing Date: 16 February 2001
Last Amended: 16 February 2001
Source ID: 24799
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Set back from the NW side of the country road between the villages of Llanfwrog and Llanfaethlu; c1.25km NNE of the Church of St Mwrog.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Traditional County: Anglesey
Early C20 minor gentry house, built for John Williams of Mynachdy. The house does not appear on the 1901 OS map of the area but is featured on the 1926 edition. It may be the work of the County architect, Joseph Owen since it is similar in style to other of his buildings in the area.
Asymmetrically disposed 2-storey house with single storey service wing to the R (NE) end. Built of local stone, with pebbledash rendered elevations and freestone dressings. Roof of green Devon slate with red clay ridge tiles and stone gable parapets; slender, rectangular, rendered axial and end wall stacks. Projecting verges with scrolled brackets.
The entrance elevation faces the road to the SE, with advanced central gabled bay with gable parapet flanked by ball finials. The doorway is offset to its left, under a stone hood, with window directly to its right and a further porthole window with keystone to R (NE). First floor stair window of 4 mullioned lights. To the right (NE) of the advanced bay are 4 ground floor and 3 first floor windows, all small paned single lights; to the left is a rectangular ground floor bay window set across the SW corner of the house. The windows of the bay, and the rest of the house are top-hung casements with 6 or 8-paned lights over 1 or 2-paned fixed lights below. Rear elevation of 3 bays; canted bay window to ground floor right; dormer gables over offset central bay and to right; windows (paired to ground floor and to first floor in wider right hand bay) all have small upper panes.
The porch has a studded timber door and mosaic floor; the inner door leads into a central hall with principal rooms leading off, and the corridor to the domestic quarters and servants stairs to the right (NE). The hallway is dominated by the floriate Art Nouveau glass of the stair windows, and entrance and cloakroom doors. Dog-leg stairway with half-landing; moulded wreathed handrail over shaped balusters and newel posts. The house retains panelled doors, window reveals and soffits. Many of the rooms with moulding coving, dado and picture rails. The ground floor pantries retain the original cupboards; maids pantry with sliding panelled doors.
Listed as a good early Anglesey Arts and Crafts house expressively planned and retaining good detail externally and internally. It is one of a notable series of homes from this period on the island, possibly the work of local architect, Joseph Owen.
Other nearby listed buildings