History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Holy Trinity

A Grade II Listed Building in Trellech United (Tryleg Unedig), Monmouthshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7557 / 51°45'20"N

Longitude: -2.677 / 2°40'37"W

OS Eastings: 353368

OS Northings: 206549

OS Grid: SO533065

Mapcode National: GBR JM.0M9X

Mapcode Global: VH877.K44F

Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 28 February 2001

Last Amended: 28 February 2001

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 24917

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: On the south side of the road towards the eastern end of Whitebrook valley.

County: Monmouthshire

Town: Monmouth

Community: Trellech United (Tryleg Unedig)

Community: Trellech United

Locality: Whitebrook

Traditional County: Monmouthshire

Find accommodation in
Llandogo

History

Small church of c1840 in the pre-ecclesiological lancet style with major alterations and the addition of a schoolroom on the south side, possibly in 1892. The conveyance of the land that the church is built on is dated 1838.

Exterior

The church is built of coursed squared red sandstone rubble with a Welsh slate roof, the schoolroom is rendered and painted. Single cell church with a west porch, probably added, and a schoolroom lean-to against the whole of the south wall. Gabled west end with two single light windows and a central gabled porch with a 4-centred head and small pointed windows in the return walls, original plank double doors. The main roof gable has a square bell-cote with an opening to each face, projecting eaves. The north wall has butresses with off-sets and two windows with Y-tracery. The east end has two windows as the west end. The schoolroom has a large 6 over 6 pane double sash at the east end and a small window and a 4-centred arch door at the west end, the south wall is blind.

Interior

The church appears to have been refitted, perhaps in 1892, with a large opening screen into the schoolroom, and an elaborately carved chancel screen known to have been done in 1892 by the Vicar, Joshua Stansfield, who also decorated the church at that time. The windows are 1840s coloured glass in diamond quarries. The roof is extremely elaborate in six bays with kingposts and other vertical struts all along the ties, boarded above.

Reasons for Listing

Included as an unusual example of a c1840 mission church in a newly populated industrial area with some interesting alterations of the1890s.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Telephone Call-box (01600 860389)
    Situated at the side of the narrow country lane that runs through the village of Whitebrook; opposite to Manor Brook Cottage and about 50m east of the Church of the Holy Trinity.
  • II The Bell
    On the south side of the road towards the eastern end of Whitebrook valley and about 100m east of the Church of the Holy Trinity.
  • II Cider Mill at Fern Bank
    On the north side of the Whitebrook valley road and about 150m west of the Church of the Holy Trinity.
  • II Wye Valley Millhouse
    On the north side of the road towards the eastern end of Whitebrook valley and about 200m east of the Church of the Holy Trinity.
  • II Chimney of former Clearwater Mill
    On the north side of the Whitebrook valley road and about 350m west of the Church of the Holy Trinity.
  • II Whitebrook Farmhouse
    At the eastern entrance to Whitebrook valley and about 400m east of the Church of the Holy Trinity.
  • II Clearwater House
    On the north side of the Whitebrook valley road and about 450m west of the Church of the Holy Trinity.
  • II Pilstone Farmhouse
    Prominently sited across the slope on west side of the Wye Valley; Pilstone Farm is reached from the by-road that runs north from the main A466 where it crosses the river at Bigsweir Bridge. Approxima

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.