History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chimney of former Clearwater Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in Trellech United (Tryleg Unedig), Monmouthshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7574 / 51°45'26"N

Longitude: -2.6803 / 2°40'48"W

OS Eastings: 353142

OS Northings: 206738

OS Grid: SO531067

Mapcode National: GBR JM.0DHW

Mapcode Global: VH877.H3D4

Entry Name: Chimney of former Clearwater Mill

Listing Date: 28 February 2001

Last Amended: 28 February 2001

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 24923

Building Class: Commercial

Location: On the north side of the Whitebrook valley road and about 350m west of the Church of the Holy Trinity.

County: Monmouthshire

Town: Monmouth

Community: Trellech United (Tryleg Unedig)

Community: Trellech United

Locality: Whitebrook

Traditional County: Monmouthshire

Find accommodation in
Llandogo

History

Chimney built as a part of the introduction of steam power to the adjacent Clearwater Mill (now ruins). This mill was built c1760, it was the first paper mill in the Whitebrook valley and was worked for over a hundred years. 'A steam engine and a 60" wide paper machine were installed by 1863....and it seems that this machine was replaced by one 78" wide by 1869. In addition to the steam engine there was an overshot water wheel and a 70HP water turbine.' (Coates) Part of the turbine pipe survives in the road wall opposite the mill site. The mill had closed by 1875.

Exterior

Neatly built chimney of squared and coursed rock faced sansdstone conglomerate rubble. Square base about 2.5m in height with cornice and then tapering to a circular stack, about 10m in all. The top is hidden by a growth of ivy but it appears complete.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a well preserved mill chimney of the1860s, an important surviving relic of the Whitebrook valley paper industry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Clearwater House
    On the north side of the Whitebrook valley road and about 450m west of the Church of the Holy Trinity.
  • II Cider Mill at Fern Bank
    On the north side of the Whitebrook valley road and about 150m west of the Church of the Holy Trinity.
  • II Church of the Holy Trinity
    On the south side of the road towards the eastern end of Whitebrook valley.
  • II Telephone Call-box (01600 860389)
    Situated at the side of the narrow country lane that runs through the village of Whitebrook; opposite to Manor Brook Cottage and about 50m east of the Church of the Holy Trinity.
  • II The Bell
    On the south side of the road towards the eastern end of Whitebrook valley and about 100m east of the Church of the Holy Trinity.
  • II Wye Valley Millhouse
    On the north side of the road towards the eastern end of Whitebrook valley and about 200m east of the Church of the Holy Trinity.
  • II Whitebrook Farmhouse
    At the eastern entrance to Whitebrook valley and about 400m east of the Church of the Holy Trinity.
  • II Pilstone Farmhouse
    Prominently sited across the slope on west side of the Wye Valley; Pilstone Farm is reached from the by-road that runs north from the main A466 where it crosses the river at Bigsweir Bridge. Approxima

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.