This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6637 / 51°39'49"N
Longitude: -3.2294 / 3°13'45"W
OS Eastings: 315063
OS Northings: 196814
OS Grid: ST150968
Mapcode National: GBR HW.6DD3
Mapcode Global: VH6DD.ZF3Z
Entry Name: Tir-y-berth County Primary School
Listing Date: 18 July 2001
Last Amended: 18 July 2001
Source ID: 25532
Building Class: Education
Location: Fronting the road which runs N/S along the W side of the Rhymney Valley between the railway and the river
Built-Up Area: Blackwood
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Built 1927. Architect D Pugh Jones. In 1902 responsibility for school building was taken over by County Councils and two education architects were appointed for E and W of the county. Pugh Jones was responsible for the E area including Caerphilly and in the inter-war period favoured a neo-Georgian style, of which this school is a well-planned example in a distinctive style.
Primary school built round a quadrangle: 4 single storey classroom/hall wings linked by ancillary rooms, eg cloakrooms, canteen, stores, with central courtyard playground. Built of brown brick with ashlar dressings and raised brick quoins, red brick to rear; hipped Welsh slate roof; front range has slightly swept bracketed eaves and a terracotta ridge formerly surmounted by a cupola/bellcote, now a weathervane. Symmetrical frontage has centre hall range with hipped roof flanked by lower wings terminating in cross gables. Windows are mostly multipane sashes generously sized, some have fixed glazing with higher opening casements; stone sills. Central wing has a 5-window range. Recessed on each side are the two entrances comprising 2 freestanding piers and 2 attached pilasters supporting a deep cornice with inscription 'Gwell Dysg na Golud' creating a wide porch; moulded doorways with double 6-panel doors are inscribed above Bechgyn and Babanod and flanked by 8/12 pane sash windows. Projecting end wings have pedimental treatment enclosing an oculus, inscription band below and a single window: inscription to left is Glamorgan County Council and to right Tir-y-berth Council School. Fronted by a low rendered wall with piers and railings incorporating decorative central motif. Side elevations inner and outer show the higher roof ridges of the classroom wings; at rear left is the former kitchen with a gable and tall round-headed window with a deep hood cornice.
Originally classrooms opened directly onto the central yard but a corridor round three sides of the quadrangle was inserted later. Otherwise classroom layout remains virtually unaltered. Parquet floor to hall, tiled dado, brown with a green stripe, half glazed doors, small canteen converted to other use, boarded ceilings. Stairs to attic storage at each front corner.
Listed for its special architectural interest as a well-preserved and distinctive inter-War school building by an exceptional county architect.
Other nearby listed buildings