This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.651 / 51°39'3"N
Longitude: -3.2325 / 3°13'57"W
OS Eastings: 314825
OS Northings: 195406
OS Grid: ST148954
Mapcode National: GBR HV.7CLN
Mapcode Global: VH6DD.XRGQ
Plus Code: 9C3RMQ28+9X
Entry Name: Capel Hengoed (also known as Hengoed Baptist Chapel)
Listing Date: 17 September 1993
Last Amended: 18 July 2001
Source ID: 13590
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated above Hengoed, close to Cefn Hengoed; set back from hill road that runs north from Ystrad Mynach. Burial ground to front with good C19 monuments.
Built-Up Area: Ystrad Mynach
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Built in 1829 at a cost of £420 to replace the first chapel which was erected in 1710. It was "improved" in 1860 at a cost of £200. The non-conformist community in this area was first formed by David Davies in 1650. Rev John Jenkins was the minister from 1809 until his death in 1853; he was a leading Welsh Baptist preacher and is also known for his religious publishing (eg the Bible commentary 'Esponiad'); he had his own printing press at Hengoed.
Square chapel with 3-window gabled front, cement rendered elevations and slate roof (chimney removed). The plan-form is of the standard C19 type but retains the paired front entrances of the earlier, long-walled, type of chapel as opposed to the central entrance onto a lobby found in later chapels. Round-headed horned sash windows with marginal intersecting glazing bars and Italianate central 2-light window. The two entrances flanking the central ground floor window are square-headed and with modern boarding. Stone date plaque to gable. Horned 12-pane sash windows to 2-window side elevations of which those to the gallery are camber-headed; ground floor windows blocked on left hand side (see internally). The rear gable has a pair of square-headed 2-light windows (recently reopened) within which are pointed arched heads to both lights.
Simple interior with raked gallery to three sides which has panelled front and is carried on chamfered timber piers. Coved and boarded ceiling with central octagon design and moulded cornice. Boxed, pitch pine, pews. Panelled area to set fawr with steps to either side and open-pedimented board behind; two memorial tablets above, one to Rev John Jenkins (d 1853) and the other to Rev Richard Williams (d 1878), both ministers of this chapel.
Listed for its special interest as an historic valleys chapel.
Other nearby listed buildings