This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7494 / 51°44'57"N
Longitude: -2.9702 / 2°58'12"W
OS Eastings: 333119
OS Northings: 206077
OS Grid: SO331060
Mapcode National: GBR J6.0ZJP
Mapcode Global: VH79M.G9M8
Entry Name: Nantyderry Station House
Listing Date: 18 July 2001
Last Amended: 16 October 2001
Source ID: 25557
Building Class: Transport
Location: About 500m north east of the Church of St. Peter and immediately south of the railway bridge on the road to Chainbridge
Community: Goetre Fawr
Community: Goetre Fawr
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Nantyderry station was built by the Newport, Abergavenny and Hereford Railway in 1854 and was worked at first by the London and North Western Railway. It became a part of the West Midland Railway in 1860 and the Great Western Railway in 1863. It closed in 1958 and was converted to a house; the line continues in use.
The building is constructed of squared snecked rock-faced sandstone blocks with a dressed band between the floors, Welsh slate roof. Two storey rectangular block with single storey lean-to wings on either gable. The entrance front has, from the left, a 2 over 2 pane sash in the wing, a 2 over 2 pane sash with horizontal division and an octagonal head to the main block, a plank door under a glazed Gothic porch, another window with shaped head as before, another plain sash as before and a small single light 'Norman' type window in the wing. The upper floor has a central gable with two sashes with shaped heads. Steeply pitched roof with tall end brick stacks. The trackside elevation has windows with shaped heads to the ground floor and two gables with narrower sashes above. The left hand wing has a shaped head replacement small pane window. The platform canopy survives though it has been infilled below with a glazed conservatory. Four bay timber canopy with drop finials. The platform also survives as well as a GWR lamp hut.
Interior not inspected at resurvey.
This is included for its special interest as part of a unified group of railway buildings at the former Nantyderrry station. This is an exceptionally well preserved station building in Wales at the date of 1854.
Other nearby listed buildings