History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Orchard walls at Graig Arthur Farm

A Grade II Listed Building in Trelawnyd and Gwaenysgor (Trelawnyd a Gwaenysgor), Flintshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2984 / 53°17'54"N

Longitude: -3.3536 / 3°21'13"W

OS Eastings: 309880

OS Northings: 378796

OS Grid: SJ098787

Mapcode National: GBR 5Z09.RB

Mapcode Global: WH76H.GC76

Entry Name: Orchard walls at Graig Arthur Farm

Listing Date: 18 July 2001

Last Amended: 18 July 2001

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 25595

Building Class: Domestic

Location: On the W side of the farmhouse.

County: Flintshire

Community: Trelawnyd and Gwaenysgor (Trelawnyd a Gwaenysgor)

Community: Trelawnyd and Gwaenysgor

Locality: Marian

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Llanasa

History

Possibly contemporary with the house, which is dated 1776. The Tithe apportionment describes it as a garden in 1844. An alcove was inserted into the W wall in the late C19.

Exterior

Walls of rubble stone, up to 4m high, enclosing the N, W and part of the S side of a former orchard. The N wall abuts at its E end a former outbuilding now converted to a dwelling. The N wall faces a track and has a boarded door under a brick segmental head offset towards the E end. The outer W and S walls have raking buttresses and low buttresses with offsets, while the W wall is partly repaired with concrete render. A ledge in the outer face of the W wall suggests that in its present form the orchard is the result of 2 phases of building. The inner faces of the W and N walls are brick. At the N end of the W wall is an inserted round-back, plaster-vaulted alcove, above which an ex situ sculpted stone head, of uncertain date but possibly medieval, has been inserted.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as well-preserved orchard walls, a feature once common in the district, and for its contribution to the historic character of Graig Arthur Farm.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Graig Arthur Farmhouse
    Approximately 1.3km SE of Trelawnyd church, reached at the end of a farm road on the W side of the A5151.
  • II Barn and stable at Graig Arthur Farm
    On the S side of the farmhouse.
  • II Pentre Mawr Farmhouse
    Approximately 0.9km SE of Trelawnyd church, at the end of a farm road on the S side of the A5151.
  • II Tre Abbot Fawr Farmhouse
    Located at the end of a short track off the A5151, with the farmyard in front.
  • II Siamber Wen
    An isolated house on the S side of the village, reached by a short track E of the S end of Well Street opposite Glan-y-wern.
  • II Still House
    Set back on the SE side of Well Street.
  • II Faenol Fach
    In its own grounds on the E side of the churchyard.
  • II Trelawnyd Memorial Hall
    Prominently sited in the centre of the village on the N side of London Road, the main road through the village.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.