This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4892 / 51°29'21"N
Longitude: -3.1834 / 3°11'0"W
OS Eastings: 317935
OS Northings: 177355
OS Grid: ST179773
Mapcode National: GBR KHJ.54
Mapcode Global: VH6F6.RTYS
Plus Code: 9C3RFRQ8+MM
Entry Name: Sculpture in forecourt of Department of Music, Cardiff University
Listing Date: 22 October 2001
Last Amended: 22 October 2001
Source ID: 25834
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: On the W side of the entrance to the Department of Music.
Built-Up Area: Cardiff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Installed 1968 and by Barbara Hepworth, renowned British sculptor. It stands within the forecourt of the Department of Music, which was built in 1970 by Alex Gordon & Partners, architects of Cardiff.
An abstract bronze sculpture on a brick plinth. The composition is a grouping of three trapezoidal wings (c 3m high and c 0.25m thick) fanned across a wide brick plinth. Each wing is pierced by an oculus of height and diameter varied in relation to its neighbours.. This sculpture belongs within Hepworth''s artistic credo that her work should "infuse the formal perfection of geometry with the vital grace of nature".
Listed as a rare public work in Wales by one of the foremost C20 British sculptors, and for its contribution with Aberdare Hall and colonnade to Queen Anne Square to the architectural character of the Corbett Road townscape.
Other nearby listed buildings