This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5217 / 51°31'18"N
Longitude: -3.2121 / 3°12'43"W
OS Eastings: 316002
OS Northings: 181009
OS Grid: ST160810
Mapcode National: GBR K84.RG
Mapcode Global: VH6F6.80RR
Entry Name: Nos. 1-5 Pen-y-dre (odds), including No. 227 Pant Bach Road
Listing Date: 30 November 2001
Last Amended: 23 May 2003
Source ID: 25871
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The first terrace on the S side of the Garden Village off the main thoroughfare of Heol-y-deri, fronted by a stream in deep stone channel with access to houses across bridges.
Community: Rhiwbina (Rhiwbeina)
Locality: Rhiwbina Garden Village (S)
Built-Up Area: Cardiff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Garden City movement began at turn of C19/C20; Garden City Association was formed and a seminal conference held at Bourneville Birmingham in 1901. Pioneer developments were at Hampstead Garden Suburb and Letchworth. Aim was to provide workers with modest but good quality housing on the cottage principle in healthy green surroundings incorporating open spaces, adequate private gardens, with hedges and trees lining the roads. Garden Village houses were also amongst the first small houses to have inside lavatories, bathrooms, and to incorporate dpcs. In 1911 the Cardiff Workers'''' Cooperative Garden Village Society was formed which bought for development an area of Pentwyn Estate by Rhiwbina Halt. Raymond Unwin, a leading light in the movement, was invited to provide plans. Contemporary posters c 1913 issued by the Society and also the Garden Village Management Committee promoted it as ''''Rhubina Fields'''', a suburb with convenient transport ''''Rail from Rhymney Station, Motor Bus from North Road'''' and ''''From Work to Home by Train or Bus. Gardening - Tennis - Country Walks.'''' Originally over 1000 houses were envisaged. First area to be developed in 1912-13 was the ''''Village Green'''' Y Groes Nos. 1-22, together with Nos. 2-20 Lon Isa, an E/W road to the N, and Nos. 2-22 Lon-y-dail, a tree-lined N/S avenue to W; architect A H Mottram of Parker and Unwin and builder J O West. Next area to be developed in 1914 though only transferred to Garden Village in 1917 was Pen-y-dre, to S alongside a stream and incorporating footbridges; architect H Avray Tipping or assistant Eric Francis. T Alwyn Lloyd became architect in 1915 and continued the development to W, including a house for himself No. 11 Heol Wen which dominates Pen-y-dre. In 1920, 93 further houses were built and in 1922 another 26. School added in 1928. Garages began to be added 1930s, though by now plans were suffering a downturn. The Society employed its own staff of workmen to maintain the buildings. Houses were originally painted in cream with Buckingham Green windows. Rhiwbina Garden Village Ltd was wound up in 1981, a Conservation Area including almost all the development having been created in 1976.
Terrace of 3 houses plus attached one-storey shop extension (No. 227) to left gable end. Roughcast rendered with roof of small slates with stacks set lengthwise along the ridge, one lateral; kneelers to gables. Windows are small-pane casements with narrow sills; doors are boarded with small triangular lights and simple bracketed hoods. 2 storeys. Asymmetrical frontage in Garden Village style with splayed and rendered shop extension masking ground-floor gable end of No. 1. Two pairs of small-pane casements remain above later timber shop windows and centre door. End unit left (no. 1) has 4-light window close under eaves to first floor; canted bay window to living room left and small hall window to right of central door. Centre unit (no. 3) has similar first floor eaves window and a second larger sloping roofed half dormer; central doorway with small hall window to left and living room window to right. Archway to rear between nos. 3 and 5. End unit right (no. 5) has a projecting cross gable with 2 larger 2-light first floor windows; below the door is to left and living room window to right.
No. 5 has replaced windows.
Listed as an integral part of the core of Rhiwbina Garden Village.
Other nearby listed buildings