History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Melin Llanddyfnan aka Pen y fan

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanddyfnan, Isle of Anglesey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2827 / 53°16'57"N

Longitude: -4.2758 / 4°16'32"W

OS Eastings: 248375

OS Northings: 378607

OS Grid: SH483786

Mapcode National: GBR HNT0.VHT

Mapcode Global: WH42N.9R58

Entry Name: Melin Llanddyfnan aka Pen y fan

Listing Date: 12 May 1970

Last Amended: 11 June 2002

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 26722

Building Class: Industrial

Location: In an elevated location, set back from the SE side of a country road leading to Llanbedrgoch from the B5110 out of Llangefni. Within the grounds, and c0.5km NW Plas Llanddyfnan.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Community: Llanddyfnan

Community: Llanddyfnan

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in
Llanddyfnan

History

The earliest record of the mill is on an estate map of 1746, probably built during the upsurge in windmill construction on the island during the 1730s and early 1740s. The mill is known to have been working at the turn of the century, but appears to have ceased production shortly after, marked as 'Old Windmill' on the 1918 one-inch OS map. It became roofless and derelict until the 1950s when the then owner, Mr Francis Wilson QC (the Recorder of Chester) decided to restore it, principally for use as a viewing platform.

Exterior

Full height circular windmill tower of 3 storeys. Built of coursed rubble masonry, rendered. Original window openings have slate sills, now with metal framed casement windows; one window infilled with brick. Enlarged doorway with modern boarded doors.

Interior

Interior not inspected at the time of survey but said, by owner, not to contain any of original mill machinery; has staircase up to viewing platform on roof.

Reasons for Listing

Listed, notwithstanding alterations, as a substantially intact windmill tower, one of only 18 surviving on Anglesey. In early-mid C19 there were over 40 windmills operating on the island, grinding the large volumes of corn then being produced. Pen y fan is of interest as one of the earliest windmills recorded on the island.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Lofted stable range at Plas Llanddyfnan
    In an isolated rural location, set back within private grounds from the NW side of the B5109 just N of Talwrn. The stable range is set at right angles to the service wing of Plas Llanddyfnan.
  • II Plas Llanddyfnan
    In an isolated rural location, set back within private grounds from the NW side of the B5109 just N of Talwrn.
  • II Marian
    In an isolated rural location, set back from the N side of the B5109 NE of Talwrn; c1km SW of the Church of St Dyfnan.
  • II Bodeilio
    In an isolated rural location, set back from the SE side of the B5109 NE of Talwrn and c1.25km SW of the Church of St Dyfnan.
  • II Bryn Brochan
    Set back, along private trackway, from the W side of Siloam Terrace in the heart of the village of Talwrn.
  • II Parc
    Set back, along private trackways, from the W side of Siloam Terrace in the heart of the village of Talwrn.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.