History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Lodge

A Grade II Listed Building in Llandaff, Cardiff

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4932 / 51°29'35"N

Longitude: -3.2175 / 3°13'2"W

OS Eastings: 315574

OS Northings: 177847

OS Grid: ST155778

Mapcode National: GBR K7G.JN

Mapcode Global: VH6F6.5QXN

Plus Code: 9C3RFQVM+72

Entry Name: The Lodge

Listing Date: 18 June 2002

Last Amended: 30 June 2003

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 26736

Building Class: Education

Location: On the north-east side of the road opposite St Michael's College and between the old Probate Registry and the Cathedral School.

County: Cardiff

Town: Cardiff

Community: Llandaff (Llandaf)

Community: Llandaff

Built-Up Area: Cardiff

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Cardiff

History

1870 (said to have originally been dated), probably by John Prichard. It bears stylistic similarities with earlier Prichard and Seddon houses, for instance the rather grander Old Rectory at St. Fagans which dates from 1858-9; as well as with The Old Registry (qv) also in Cardiff Road which dates from c1863. During WWI it was used as a convalescent hospital for wounded servicemen and was then a hostel for St. Michael's College (qv). It is now the Music Department of The Cathedral School (qv).

Exterior

Built of multi-coloured stone with some lias banding and some Radyr stone and black brick dressings, banded tile roof. Two storeys, three bay range with contemporary rear service wing and with a late C20 single storey extension from this. The C17 gabled style as used for many mid C19 rectories. The main elevation has a central door flanked by french windows, all this hidden beneath a continuous tiled verandah carried on timber brackets between stone buttress projections at either end. The first floor has smaller gables flanking a larger one. The outer ones have timber mullion-and-transom windows, the centre has paired ones with a masonry mullion between. Steep gables with fretted bargeboards. Steeply pitched main roof with three 2-flued diamond set stacks. The rear elevation is covered by a C20 brick extension to the left and the original shallower gabled service wing to centre and right. This has more stacks, one where it joins the main range and one on the gable end. Low single storey projecting wing with metal tripartite casement.

Interior

Interior not inspected. Said to have an impressive top-lit stairhall with cusped timber arcading and pierced quatrefoils and discs to the stair balustrade and gallery.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a good and little altered house probably designed by John Prichard and having strong group value with the other listed buildings in Cardiff Road.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.