This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4934 / 51°29'36"N
Longitude: -3.2161 / 3°12'58"W
OS Eastings: 315667
OS Northings: 177866
OS Grid: ST156778
Mapcode National: GBR K7G.VL
Mapcode Global: VH6F6.6QMH
Entry Name: Chapel of The Cathedral School
Listing Date: 12 February 1952
Last Amended: 30 June 2003
Source ID: 81258
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Chapel situated to south-west of school and connected to school by a single storey wing contemporary with the chapel.
Community: Llandaff (Llandaf)
Built-Up Area: Cardiff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Built 1858-9 and designed in Gothic Revival style by Ewan Christian, architect for the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. It was built at the request of Bishop Ollivant (Bishop 1849-82) who was the first bishop for several centuries to reside permanently in the Llandaff diocese. Llandaff Place was the Bishop''''s Palace 1850-1939. It has been The Cathedral School since 1958.
External walls faced with polychromatic stone laid in regular courses; mostly grey but with a brown course at cill and at springer level, heavy grey plinth, string and cornice bands, Bath stone window dressings, Welsh slate roof. Apsidal south-east end with five narrow lancet windows externally with gables. One lancet window and two x two-centred 2-light windows in south-west wall; trefoil headed lights and another trefoil in the window head. One 2-light window in north-east wall where the passage to the main house is joined on. North-west gable has a 3-light Decorated window with sexfoil head. Coped gable with apex cross and a second cross on the apsed end.
The Chapel has internally plastered walls, Three bay timber roof with arch braced collars, kingposts, two tiers of purlins and with the rafters resting on carved stone corbels. Screen at west end. Altar with sounding board above.
Included for its historic and design interest as the Palace private chapel designed by Ewan Christian for Bishop Ollivant.
Other nearby listed buildings