This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.929 / 52°55'44"N
Longitude: -4.0671 / 4°4'1"W
OS Eastings: 261150
OS Northings: 338839
OS Grid: SH611388
Mapcode National: GBR 5S.MGJ2
Mapcode Global: WH55M.HMJY
Plus Code: 9C4QWWHM+H5
Entry Name: Parish Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 23 August 2002
Last Amended: 23 August 2002
Source ID: 26852
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
ID on this website: 300026852
Location: Set back from the main road within its own rubble-walled churchyard at the southern end of the village centre.
Built-Up Area: Penrhyndeudraeth
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Tagged with: Church building
Built in 1858 under the patronage of Mrs William Gryffydd Oakley of Plas Tan-y-Bwlch, Maentwrog, together with an associated vicarage. The first incumbent was the Rev. George Griffiths.
Small Victorian parish church in simple lancet style, consisting of a nave and chancel with W-end bellcote, N porch and vestry projection to the S. Rough-dressed, snecked slatestone elevations with pale sandstone dressings and steep slate roofs; slab-coped and kneelered gable parapets with decorative gable cross bases. The nave N side has a large porch to the R with tall pointed-arched entrance having hollow-chamfered and ball-flower detail; engaged columns to R and L with naturalistic foliage capitals; moulded returned label with carved head stops. To the R of the porch is a window consisting of paired, cusped lancets; to the L of the porch is a single lancet with a pair of lancets to the L and a further single lancet beyond. The latter has a modern slate dedication plaque inserted to its R. The S side has similar windows arranged as two pairs each with a single to its R. At the far R is a single-bay vestry projection with a triple cusped lancet group to the S gable and a Tudor-arched, chamfered entrance with boarded door to the E return; reduced lateral chimney to the W return.
The W end has flush stepped buttresses to the N and S, that to the latter with incised Bench Mark. Large triangular tracery Rose with 3 cusped occuli within a moulded label with carved foliated stops. A moulded stringcourse at high dado level returns onto the flanking buttresses where it terminates. Surmounting the W gable is an elegant octagonal bellcote, corbelled-out over the W wall and with open arched upper storey. Stone spire with ball flower and ribbed decoration. The Chancel is stepped-down from the nave and set back; it is of one bay's length. Triple lancet group to the E end with ogee heads; single lancets to the N and S sides.
Aisless nave with 5-bay arched-braced collar truss roof, the trusses carried down onto simple stone corbels. Fixed pine pews in simple Gothic style with central lozenge-tiled pavement of black/yellow/red tiles. Similar box pews form choirstalls at the E end of the nave, oriented to face inwards. Modern wooden pulpit and a painted late C19 wooden pedal organ, the latter set within a niche on the S wall; in simple Gothic style. To the L of this is a plain Tudor-arched entrance to the vestry; boarded door. At the W end an Early English-style painted stone font; conventional octagonal type with hollow-chamfered edges to the bowl and cluster-column base on an octagonal plinth.
Large chancel arch with chamfered and moulded detail and engaged half-columns to the inner faces terminating in naturalistic foliage capitals. The chancel has 2 steps leading up to it; plain red tiled pavement to this and the stepped-up sanctuary beyond. Two-bay collar truss roof with stopped-chamfered principal and collar. Simple oak altar rails carried on 4 wrought iron scrolled supports; simple panelled oak reredos in memory of the parishioners lost in WWII.
Stained and painted glass:
E window: scenes of the Passion over three lights, in memmory of the Breese family. Nave, N Wall: Christ as Sower and as Good Shepherd, figurative panels over two lights; in memory of the Rev. David Morgan, d.1895. S Wall: fine 2-light Arts and Crafts Annunciation in memory of Anne Louisa Loveday of Castell Deudraeth, d.1904.
Listed as a mid-Victorian parish church in largely unaltered condition in a prominent road-side location.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings