This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9136 / 52°54'48"N
Longitude: -4.0997 / 4°5'58"W
OS Eastings: 258910
OS Northings: 337189
OS Grid: SH589371
Mapcode National: GBR 5R.NDM7
Mapcode Global: WH55T.0117
Entry Name: Walls and Gateways Edging the Central Piazza to the NW
Listing Date: 23 August 2002
Last Amended: 23 August 2002
Source ID: 26866
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Defining the perimeter of the Central Piazza between Trinity and the Gloriette.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Portmeirion was designed and laid out by the celebrated architect Sir Clough Williams-Ellis (1883-1978) following his purchase of the estate, then called Aber Iâ, in 1926. The village evolved over several decades and was still being added to in the 1970s.
These walls and gateway structures appear to date from the mid 1930s and defined the central village space which at that time was partly occupied by a tennis court. The area was restructured between 1964 and 1965 when the Gloriette and Central Piazza were created.
The wall begins at Trinity, uncoped, and at a height of approximately 2.2m. It runs northwards following the road in a curve to the E. At a point some 8m N of Trinity the wall slopes down on either side of a vista break with sandsone balustrading. Beyond this, after a short distance, the wall slopes down again on either side of a wide opening between two large trees. The opening gives onto a raised and rubble revetted childrens' play area of roughly parabolic plan. Immediately adjoining this to the E is an entrance to the Piazza. This consists of a pair of widely-spaced rusticated, rendered piers some 2m high, with surmounting urn finials. A flight of 8 slate steps leads down from a cobbled pavement; simple scrolled iron balustrades to both sides. Adjoining this to the E the wall splays inwards to enclose a cobbled seating area some 8m in length, with reconstituted stone balustrading and surmounting stone flower boxes; terracotta urns flank the area to R and L.
Immediately E of this the wall slopes up on either side of a tall baroque archway. This consists of a rubble arch with rendered overthrow in the form of a shaped pediment with voluted flanking piers. Central arched niche above the arch to the road side containing a small baroque statue; affixed bronze star above. On the Piazza side is a large Coade stone Royal Arms dated 1806; roundels to the L and R. The wall continues for approximately 6m further until it joins the Gloriette.
Listed as a series of walls and gateways defining the Central Piazza, an important focus of the village; belonging to a number of buildings and structures erected by the eminent architect and conservationist Sir Clough Williams-Ellis for his visionary Portmeirion villiage.
Group value with other listed items at Portmeirion.
Other nearby listed buildings