This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9149 / 52°54'53"N
Longitude: -4.1038 / 4°6'13"W
OS Eastings: 258635
OS Northings: 337352
OS Grid: SH586373
Mapcode National: GBR 5Q.NKKM
Mapcode Global: WH55L.XZZQ
Entry Name: Penrhyn Isaf
Listing Date: 23 August 2002
Last Amended: 23 August 2002
Source ID: 26884
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Sited in a sheltered hollow at the summit of the hill overlooking the Traeth Mawr and The Cob, towards the western boundary of the community.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Sub-medieval storeyed house; good quality stopped-chamfered ceilings to the former parlour and hall, the latter framed in three ways and both with broach stop detailing, are suggestive of an early date, probably mid C16 in this case. In the mid C19 the house was given sandstone mullioned windows and the chimneys were rebuilt; at the same time a brewhouse block was added to the rear and a porch to the front. The mullions have been removed in recent years.
In 1812 one Thomas Edwards, known locally as Yr Hwntw Mawr, was working as a labourer on the building of The Cob, William Maddocks' embankment. Whilst robbing Penrhyn Isaf he was intercepted by Mary Jones, the maid, who he brutally murdered before fleeing. He was eventually tracked down and was publically hanged at Dolgellau in 1813.
Sub-medieval storeyed house of local rubble construction with slate roof; C19 yellow sandstone window surrounds, formerly 3-light mullioned windows, the mullions now missing. Large projecting, gabled end chimney to the R, with corbelling-out at the top; small C19 stacks with moulded capping to this and opposite gable end. Three-bay main front with central, single-storey gabled porch; this has a window to the front with 2-pane modern glazing, and a glazed modern door to the R return. Similar windows to both floors. The rear elevation has a single-storey C19 wash/brewhouse addition to the L, forming an L-plan with the primary block, and a large modern extruded addition to the R. Modern windows throughout, including an arched one to the centre of the main block.
Stopped-chamfered ceiling beams to the former hall and parlour, the hall ceiling framed in three ways; the joists are obscured with modern plasterboard but are retained; the main and subsidiary beams have long broach stops. Wide fireplace in the hall, of inglenook type with arched bressummer (the arching later). The original roof trusses are said to survive.
Listed as a sub-medieval storeyed house retaining good original and later character; the site of a notorious murder in 1812.
Other nearby listed buildings