This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2797 / 53°16'46"N
Longitude: -4.2092 / 4°12'33"W
OS Eastings: 252804
OS Northings: 378132
OS Grid: SH528781
Mapcode National: GBR HNZ1.2N6
Mapcode Global: WH53T.9TWL
Entry Name: Barn at Plas Gwyn
Listing Date: 14 January 2003
Last Amended: 14 January 2003
Source ID: 80820
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Set back, within private grounds, between the A5025 and the B5109 SW of Pentraeth. The barn lies to SW of the house at Plas Gwyn, directly to SW of the cottage range.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Locality: Plas Gwyn Estate
Built-Up Area: Pentraeth
Traditional County: Anglesey
Early C18 threshing barn. There is a beam which is carved with the initials and date: W E J (for William Jones) / 1732.
Threshing barn of 7 bays, each bay articulated by ground and loft ventilation slits. Built of rubble masonry, the central wide opposing doorways have dressed stone voussoir heads; smaller doorway to R. Roof of slates laid to diminishing courses with stone ridge. To the R of the main threshing door there is a weighbridge formed of a rectangular metal plate on the ground; a small 4-paned light has been cut to allow viewing of weighing scales housed inside. The narrow doorway to R is also a later cut. The gable elevations are also pierced by ventilation slits; 3 to ground and 1st floors, with 2 in the gable apex. The rear threshing door has been partially infilled with brick and now houses a 16-pane sash window.
Rough hewn beams and collared trusses; massive cross beams at 1st floor level show evidence of joists to a former loft floor. One beam bears the carved initials and date: W E J / 1732. The wide threshing doors have large tulip headed hinges.
Included as a fine early C18 threshing barn which retains a strong vernacular character. The barn predates some of the more formal estate buildings but is of a scale that represents the wealth of the estate in the early C18 and is an integral part of the ancillary buildings that are grouped around the estate centre at Plas Gwyn.
Other nearby listed buildings