This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7423 / 51°44'32"N
Longitude: -4.4553 / 4°27'18"W
OS Eastings: 230581
OS Northings: 207695
OS Grid: SN305076
Mapcode National: GBR GL.FGT7
Mapcode Global: VH3LZ.QGJQ
Entry Name: Cowhouse Range at East House Farm
Listing Date: 13 June 2003
Last Amended: 13 June 2003
Source ID: 81183
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: The farm lies on the southern edge of the reclaimed land of East Marsh, close to the dunes of Laugharne Burrows, due S of Laugharne. The barn range forms the western side of the courtyard.
Community: Laugharne Township (Treflan Lacharn)
Community: Laugharne Township
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
The farmhouse is dated 1810, with an inscription that records ''''This house and offices were erected by G. P. Watkins esq.''''. The context for the construction of the farm appears to be the reclamation and enclosure of the marsh, and its colonisation by a series of new farmsteads in the early years of the C19 (the nearby Hurst House is date 1798, its model farm is of 1828). The farm-buildings represent a tightly planned group laid out as a model farm, and although the ranges appear to have been constructed at slightly different times, the distinctive courtyard layout is clearly shown in the Tithe Map of 1842.
The farm buildings are ranged round 3 sides of a courtyard, with the house placed centrally in the N range. Opposite it is the single storeyed range of cow-houses, built in 2 phases (the earliest section to the east has pegged truss roof), with a storeyed building at the eastern end of the range (also of earlier type). Lime-washed rubble with some brick dressings, and slate roof. The original arrangement comprised a series of doorways were subsequently partially blocked as windows but the original arrangement remains clearly legible. Adjoining to the L (E) is a 2-storeyed building (orignal use unclear) with central doorway and loft opening above, and small flanking windows to ground-floor.
Cow house range is divided into 3 sections inside by cross walls, but with a continuous feeding passage running along the rear of the building. Stalls all renewed in concrete. Generally pegged collar and tie-beam trusses, but bolted trusses in west section, suggesting it was a slightly later build. Similar pegged trusses in storeyed building.
Listed as an integral part of a farm group which is an exceptionally well-preserved example of a model farmstead with a precise historical context in ambitious agricultural improvement at the beginning of the C19. It clearly demonstrates a mixed agricultural economy in a series of purpose-designed buildings unified by coherent planning in an enclosed yard, and by strong regional character in design and construction. The cow-house range is typical of improvement-period design and layout.
Other nearby listed buildings