This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7424 / 51°44'32"N
Longitude: -4.455 / 4°27'17"W
OS Eastings: 230601
OS Northings: 207709
OS Grid: SN306077
Mapcode National: GBR GL.F8YL
Mapcode Global: VH3LZ.QGPM
Entry Name: East farm-range at East House Farm
Listing Date: 13 June 2003
Last Amended: 13 June 2003
Source ID: 81184
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: The farm lies on the southern edge of the reclaimed land of East Marsh, close to the dunes of Laugharne Burrows, due S of Laugharne. The barn range forms the western side of the courtyard.
Community: Laugharne Township (Treflan Lacharn)
Community: Laugharne Township
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
The farmhouse is dated 1810, with an inscription that records ''''This house and offices were erected by G. P. Watkins esq.''''. The context for the construction of the farm appears to be the reclamation and enclosure of the marsh, and its colonisation by a series of new farmsteads in the early years of the C19 (the nearby Hurst House is date 1798, its model farm is of 1828). The farm-buildings represent a tightly planned group laid out as a model farm, and although the ranges appear to have been constructed at slightly different times, the distinctive courtyard layout is clearly shown in the Tithe Map of 1842.
The farm buildings are ranged roud 3 sides of a courtyard, with the house placed centrally in the N range. The E range comprises a series of sheds, distinctively built with mono-pitched roof against a high enclosing wall. They were presumably mainly intended for storage or workshop space, and there is a wash-house or brew-house at the N end of the range. Doors (5 in all) and windows (3) are all immediately below the eaves line; the roof-line continues across a covered bay in the SE corner, where it abuts the storeyed building in the cow-house range. External doorway from the yard within this covered this covered way. Wash-house or brew-house has tall axial chimney with doorway to its R, and a window at each side.
Listed as an integral part of a farm group which is an exceptionally well-preserved example of a model farmstead with a precise historical context in ambitious agricultural improvement at the beginning of the C19. It clearly demonstrates a mixed agricultural economy in a series of purpose-designed buildings unified by coherent planning in an enclosed yard, and by strong regional character in design and construction.
Other nearby listed buildings