This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3021 / 52°18'7"N
Longitude: -4.0796 / 4°4'46"W
OS Eastings: 258300
OS Northings: 269149
OS Grid: SN583691
Mapcode National: GBR 8S.X05Z
Mapcode Global: VH4FY.7DNJ
Entry Name: Wern Fach
Listing Date: 15 August 2003
Last Amended: 15 August 2003
Source ID: 81770
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on the E side of the minor road which runs WNW from Esgair crossroads on B 4576, some 500m from crossroads.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Substantial farmhouse of C18 date, possibly formerly known as Wern Fawr, or just Wern, but Wern Fach by 1920s. Dated 1793 on pine joist but oak roof trusses probably older. A date of 1788 was noted on a gatepost. Marked on 1844 Llanrhystud Tithe Map. Said to have been farmed by Theophilus family from 1880s, Edward Theophilus in 1926.
Farmhouse, whitewashed rubble stone with close-eaved slate roof and stone end stacks with dripstones. Two-storey, three-window front range with square 4-pane sashes above, 12-pane below and door to left of centre. Half-glazed door and overlight. Left end wall has tiny loft light. Rear right has low rear wing built into slope with stone end wall chimney, the straight joints indicating a raising of the roof. Side has cambered-headed window and half-glazed door with 9-pane dormer on eaves over door, the triangular dormer head lattice-glazed. Rear left has outshut dairy with C20 door and 6-pane window. Outshut end wall has former door now window, small casement beneath.
Hall has later C18 painted pine partitions with moulded edges to planks between wide planks, fielded on inner sides. Plank door each side. Dog-leg closed-string stair with stick balusters and thin rail extending up to loft. Front kitchen has massive lintel to fireplace, chimney breast some 8' deep. Lintel was chamfered, hacked off in part. Another large beam within chimney now covered. Plank door with wrought iron strap hinges into rear dairy which had a loft floor, now removed, exposing massive scarfed raking roof beams apparently reused. Slate flags and slate shelves. First floor has large landing with some plank partitions, partly original partly remade. Date 1793 on pine joist. Oak beams. Attic has five pegged oak collar trusses and double purlins to roof.
Rear room has slate-flagged floor, large chimney with oak lintel, one beam and joists.
Included as an excellent local example of a smaller C18 gentry house, with exceptional survival of internal and external features.
Other nearby listed buildings